cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

starlightknight
Adept II

Re: PCI Passthrough does not work (at all) on X399 Threadripper

Nope, complete silence.... *sigh*. Same from Asus. No reply or acknowledgement to my official support ticket and they've ignored my forum posts as well. It's sad to see that neither of them seem to know the meaning of customer service

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

wait for a BIOS update or 5, bound to be a few zillion problems

0 Kudos
starlightknight
Adept II

Problem is, on the consumer side this is fairly niche functionality that has historically been a buggy, ignored mess by manufacturers. A TR/X399 based build is commanding at least $1500, and likely closer to $2,000-2500+ unless you already have ram, case, psu, gpu etc. This isn't works with quirks or known issues. This is totally flat out broken with no known workaround and not a single confirmed success.

The RMA window is only so long, and we need to know the AMD will take fixing this seriously. The track record so far doesn't look great. The Intel side of the fence, while more expensive, doesn't have issues on this. If they are going to piddle around, we'd be better off refunding and buying Core i9. However, there are appealing aspects of the Threadripper - higher clocks, more pcie lanes, lower price. Ideally, we'd all rather just see this fixed.

AMD could do a lot of good will for themselves just by being engaged with the community better. Even if they have other issues they have to fix first, acknowledging the issue and confirming its in the queue for a fix would help. But, instead, not only has this thread gone ignored, but so has my actual support ticket. Worse, my motherboard manufacturer has done the same on both accounts. I didn't pay $1500 for the platform to be unusable AND get ignored by support.

If the way you use your computer depends on this functionality, then the entire machine is worthless right now. In my case, its a gaming, server, workstation powerhouse. I game, I run a media server, I do multi platform software development, I host my own email and a lot of dev tools, I have home automation run through it..... I have a handful of VMs as a result that have to run all the time using different physical resources. I came from X99 for more cores, as I was pretty CPU bottlenecked, and I tried Threadripper for more PCIe lanes / higher clocks. Half of my services can't run on the TR right now with this broken. My old build is better, as it worked. So basically, until this gets fixed I completely wasted $1500, and if its not going to get fixed I need to know to start the RMA/refund before its too late. We all know theres always issues with new chipsets. The thing that makes a big difference is how the vendor handles it, and in AMD's case its been poorly - being ignored at this price point is not acceptable.

filthyscum
Adept II

This right here, hits the nail on the head!

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

The high-end is a thin market but they also provide a whack of useful information for the mainstream market as prices rot

Almost every machine I have owned has had several BIOS updates over the life of the machine. Sometimes it takes a year or two to get caught up or to otherwise figure it out

0 Kudos
filthyscum
Adept II

Thing is though, the competition got it figured out. Out the gate.

rebelyell
Exemplar

its new all sounds normal here. mmmyea well hang in there im sure they are working very hard on a fix during the labor day weekend...  sadley i learnt my lesson on ryzen to wait 1 or 2 months to get it.. shity answer but hang tuff..

0 Kudos
starlightknight
Adept II

My main beef right now is not that there's are bugs, but that I can't get any response from AMD or ASUS, official support ticket, forum, or otherwise. Customer service makes a big difference in these situations, and too many companies have crappy support these days.

I've been building custom rigs for some 20 years now and I've never had a disaster of *this* magnitude. But I have had my share of buggy builds. I built the rather ill-fated eVGA Z77 FTW in 2012 on launch day. But - here's a key difference: I, as an early adopter, discovered a critical bug in one of the on-board SATA controllers where it would lock up and detach the drives under steady load. I reported it on the forums with replication instructions, and within a few hours, Jacob @ eVGA acknowledged the issue. About a day or so later he posted an update saying that engineering was able to replicate the problem with my instructions and they were working on a fix. Several days after that, a BIOS update was released that fixed the issue. The key thing here was, they were very communicative throughout the whole process, and kept the affected customers in the loop.

*That* is doing the best you can with customer service. What's fueling the fire for me here is:

1) Official support tickets filed to Asus about PCI issues. No response in almost 2 weeks

2) Forum post bug reports to Asus in their thread tracking them. Asus posts before and after my posts responding about other issues, completely ignores mine. I post again asking if they could confirm they received the information, and they continued to post about other issues still ignoring it.

3) Filed official support ticket with AMD. No response thus far.

4) No acknowledgement on this post, when AMD staff acknowledges other threads in this forums regularly.

5) Tweeted @AMDRyzen asking if they could get someone could look into this, no response.

Clearly there are customer service issues here, and its all the more worrisome when its for lesser used functionality. What's it take to get a response? Negative reviews? Bad press? Heck, I glance at negative reviews on my motherboard right now and Asus is posting manufacturer responses to them on both Newegg & Amazon. But they can't respond to my support ticket? It shouldn't have to be that way. Treat your customers right, and they will be understanding when issues arise. Unfortunately, that's not what's happening here.

It's easy to defend AMD on this when you're not the one with a $1500+ unusable for its given purpose machine, but if you were us you'd be upset too, especially if you've experienced first hand how hard it is historically to get vendors to fix issues in this area. If you don't make noise about niche functionality, it unfortunately tends to remain forever broken; it doesn't fix itself. I don't understand the fanboy mentality sometimes. This thread is full of legitimate complaints. It's not made just to beat up on AMD.

rebelyell
Exemplar

whiskey-foxtrot

right well i may know someone that knows somone at asus. i will see if i can can get something going atleast. i am sorry for your troubles i feel your pain trust me..

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar

whiskey-foxtrot

right well i may know someone that knows somone at asus. i will see if i can can get something going atleast. i am sorry for your troubles i feel your pain trust me..