I like EVGA, they gave me a no BS UEFI BIOS upgrade for some video cards that allowed me to use secure boot etc.
So I continue to use their video cards, which have been rock solid in my experience.
EVGA even provides thermal material when a card overheats however only one old GTX 260 ever fried it's TIM
I use AMD processors and video cards but Asus has been a jerk for only allowing a UEFI VBIOS to be installed on certain models their motherboards, which is unethical and illegal
lol your obviosly not from america. all bios is allowed in asus and usually first to deliver. as for the other garbage you said makes no sense .. troll go away..
nvidia and you spek thermal. yup they are hot and burn up .. amd likes heat and run better hot nvidia fails when hot. have a nice day
Thanks for your information and all of your hard work on this.
I was wanting to do a Threadripper build, I definitely want to move to Linux on that build.
I might just go Intel instead now, although I really do not want to.
AMD have completely dropped support for any more Windows 64bit GPU Drivers, 5 years before the end of Windows 64 Bit Extended Support, since AMD Crimson 17.7.2 Release, although I am not sure how well known this is. This is what AMD Support are telling me. They have not made any Press Releases about it that I can find.
Windows 7 64bit will be end of Extended Support soon.
That will force me to move to Windows 10 64Bit, which I consider totally unacceptable to me.
My existing Intel Motherboards do not have full driver and software support for Windows 10 64bit, for example.
All of the above including lack of AMD feedback on explanation for AMD RX Vega / FE Gaming Performance versus Power Draw after launch reviews is not great.
I forgot to mention that Nvidia continue to support Windows 8.1 64bit as of yesterday.
I find Windows 64bit with Classic Start Menu addon for desktop is o.k. until I get on to Linux.
In Windows 8.1 64 bit I can at least have some control on what updates are installed up front (provided I can find out what they are doing) and prevent automatic installation of updates completely.
Windows 8.1 64bit has not so far turned off Norton Internet Security at start up or constantly changed my primary browser or privacy settings after updates. Adblockers seem to work still.
I would purchase the "Enterprise" version of Windows 10 64bit but that does not seem to be an option for ordinary consumer and anyhow I do not trust Microsoft any more for my primary OS because of the Forced GWX Program and hidden update to Windows 10. My parents Windows 8.1 Laptop remains bricked since this time last year for example, with no way back to Windows 8.1 64bit.
I'm not surprised. I am fairly certain the problem is in AGESA code, which means the fix would have to come from AMD. I think that means the soonest we could see a fix is 9/25 when they have they roll out the update that includes NVMe Raid. AMD_Robert has acknowledged this issue on Reddit and confirmed someone is actively working to fix it, but that they don't have anything to share as far as timeline.
My RMA window is up next Friday, and 9/25 is also when the 7980XE comes out. I am debating what to do. If I were to switch to Intel, I'd rather get the 16 or 18 core model than the 10, meaning I'd need to wait until 9/25.... but if I do that, I'm past my RMA window as well. Not sure I want to put everything back on my old board for a week and then do it again either if I RMA then switch. But if I wait longer then the window and it's not fixed, then I'd have to deal with reselling this and the Zenith which is a pain.
I have an Asus HD 7870 and it has not been a problem with heat. The Asus cooler seems to be able to handle the load with even demanding games.
The blower fans seem to have the worst record for survival, my EVGA GTX 260 had one of them
I´m in the exact same boat;
1) Wait it out and hope for the best; with a significant probability of the issues not being fixed, and being stuck with a unusable CPU/platform (for my use cases) and financial loss.
2) RMA and go for the competitions 16-core and pay the "Intel tax".
Option 2 is less risk financially for my case, even including the extra labour it incurs and upfront costs.
Too bad, I was excited for the reduced costs for 16 cores
Just setup a new gentoo box with 1950X and Gigabyte Designare EX motherboard, but I think the issue is same as the one mentioned. Just want to check what's the progress from AMD?
Any fix or update?
As KVM uses VFIO-PCI to ask the kernel to flip the bit to reset the secondary bus on the PCIe bridge controller responsible for the GPU an unintended side-effect occurs in firmware that renders some of the hardware bridge IP block registers out of sync with the values exposed in the 4k PCI config space for the bridge. This is at the very least registers 0x19 and 0x1a (controlling secondary and subordinate bus IDs) but is not limited to those registers. This reset is used during boot of the VM and, although it can be skipped, is important for the correct functioning of the VM during shutdown/reboot.
When using lspci -v this will cause the card to show up with "rev FF" and "unknown header type 7f".
The issue seems like it should be fixable in firmware but there are also several temporary software workarounds available, please see this thread on Reddit for more info:
If you have any way to pass the first paragraph and the link to the AMD Threadripper firmware team please do so as it has been very difficult to get any feedback on the specifics of this issue.