Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

flyxytk
Adept III

PC won't restart correctly after updating the system memory

Hi, so I have following problem:

today I changed my RAM to Crucial Ballistix RGB 16G 3200Mhz, everything went well except one thing: After I changed the RAM the PC wouldnt restart anymore. When the PC is shut down it works perfectly fine but if I restart from the os or bios the screen stays black and the cpu fan doesnt turn. Has anyone a Idea of whats going on in my System?

Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600

Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb (XMP is irrelevant because the problem occurs on both on and off)

Corsair TX650M PSU 650W

Gigabyte Radeon RX5700XT

Asrock b450m pro4

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (2nd ssd)

0 Likes
13 Replies

sounds like either you have defective or incompatible RAM installed.

Try using only one RAM module and see if it boots up. If it does that indicates the RAM is incompatible with 2 or more modules installed.

Could also be you installed a good RAM module. I would try installing each RAM separately to see if the problem occurs.

Your Motherboard should have the RAM Trouble LED light on.

If not what Motherboard Trouble LED light is lit when it won't boot up?

0 Likes

No, the PC starts but only when it is shut down. A restart from windows or a exit from the Bios results in the pc not booting. The RAM sticks seem to be fine, at least thats what memtest says.

Sorry, my question was a bit misunderstandeble

0 Likes

Okay, I understand now. When you have a hard shutdown by pressing the Power button then it boots up without any issue. But when you shut Windows normally or exit BIOS screen normally and restarts it doesn't boot up.

The only change you made was the RAM correct?

If you install the old RAM modules everything works correctly. Windows shuts down and restarts normally and when you exit BIOS it boots up again without problem.

Then it sounds like the RAM is not completely compatible with your motherboard. Memtest86 just physically checks the Ram for defection but not incompatibilities.

Could also be mis-configuration of the RAM in BIOS Settings.

Is your RAM on your Motherboard's QVL List for your processor? or in the QVL List from Crucial?

When you exit BIOS or Windows normally and tries to restart but doesn't boot up are there any Motherboard Trouble LED lights lit up or Trouble codes generated?

Also when you said it doesn't boot up, is the HDD/SDD Computer Case light flickering or on solid during the time it isn't supposedly booting up? If it is, you PC might be booting up but without video output.

I would wait until the HDD/SDD LED light stops flickering or is on solid after a couple of minutes.

0 Likes

Yes I checked if its conpatible before I bought it, which it is. When I shut down Windows normally it shuts down without a problem. The problem comes with the restart option in any operation system or the exit in the bios. I do not have a error speaker or screen connected because it would interrupt with the graphics cards size. The pc isnt booting up because my rgb keyboard isnt turning on and the cpu fan is either turning off or it spins to full speed. Idk if my old ram would fix my problem, i didnt test it yet. Nevertheless I never had this problem with my old ram installed.

The Ram runs on the normal xmp settings and it runs stable.

Edit: When the problem occurs the hard drive led does not blink.

If your old RAM has no issues and your computer boots up normally under any circumstances that does indicate the problem is with your new RAM you installed.

I am assuming this is the same computer setup you had with both the old RAM and the new RAM and you haven't made any other hardware changes.

All motherboards have Trouble LED lights (4 of them normally). CPU, RAM, GPU, and System. So remove your computer side panel and when the computer won't boot up check to see what LED light is lit up.

What is the Make & Model of your Motherboard? Do you have the latest Non-BETA BIOS version installed? That helps with RAM issues.

EDIT: The latest BIOS version for your ASRock Motherboard is 5.30 - 10/13/2021: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

0 Likes

I was on 5.20 ans installed the newest one, still the error occurs. I will now look for the Leds and update you

And yes I changed nothing besides the RAM

But besides this issue the system is running perfectly fine with really good performance

0 Likes

Hi, was this fixed?

Also having the same issue with the same RAM.

Full Specs:

• Ryzen 3 3300X OC'ed to 4.4ghz @ 1.375v
  • Asrock B450M Steel Legend
  • Sapphire Nitro+ 6600XT 8GB (Driver version 21.10.2)
  • 2x8gb Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200mhz (BL2K8G32C16U4WL)
  • WD SN550 500GB M.2 NVME
  • Samsung 860 EVO 500GB M.2 SATA
  • Seasonic M12II EVO 620W 80+ Bronze
  • Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000
0 Likes

No still not fixed. But I dont notice it too much anymore and  besides this problem the pc runs like a charm.

0 Likes

It appears issue fixed itself. I no longer encounter the problem where after I restart my system it won't boot.

ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Glad you got your PC back up and running.

Key thing to remember anytime you change or upgrade key hardware (mainly CPU and RAM) on your MOBO always go into your BIOS and reset all settings to default.

Except your boot drive. Always ensure your boot drive is at the top of the boot list.

Thunder Beaver signing off.

0 Likes

reset it multiple times, still does not fix the problem....

0 Likes

Did you ensure that the voltage of your new RAM was compatible with your MOBO. 

DDR4 standard voltage is 1.35 but there are 1.15 1.5 and 1.65 volt DDR RAM modules.

You may just need to manually set your MOBO RAM voltage to the voltage specs of the RAM itself.

Try pulling all but one ram stick (keep one in slot closest to CPU) and test each stick one at a time. You may have gotten a DOA causing problems for the rest of the system. 

Even BIOS updates can be necessary for supporting different RAM.

Check the manufacturers website for your MOBO and look at what voltage RAM it supports and if any of the BIOS versions mention support for specific RAM.

0 Likes

I literally did everything i know to fix the problem, also the things you mentioned. But its not that big of an issue but it annoys me sometimes

0 Likes