cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

amh3c9
Journeyman III

PC with a Ryzen 7 3700X rebooting under load.

Hello everyone

As the title states, my newly built system just reboots whenever the CPU is under load.

I get the following error in the Windows Event Viewer:

Event 18, WHEA-Logger

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

(I attached the detailed information)

During normal use the system works fine. Under load (gaming/cinebench or Ryzen Master stress test) it reboots.

While playing games it reboots at seemingly random times (sometimes in short succession, sometimes not at all). During stress tests with Cinebench it usually rebooted during the second consecutive run and with the Ryzen Master stress test it rebooted during the CPU test (5 minutes). It did not reboot when I launched a RAM only stress test. 

During the stress test Ryzen Master reported the following stats:

• Temperature: ~70 C
  • Peak Speed: ~4100 MHz
  • PPT: 99% of 88 W
  • CPU Power: ~65 W
  • SOC Power: 12 W
  • TDC (CPU): 82% of 60 A
  • EDC (CPU): 100% of 90 A

(might the PPT and EDC be the problem?)

During the reboots the CPU, VGA and BOOT (booting device) LED light up on the motherboard indicating that they were not detected or failed. Still boots though.

My system is not overheating (reboots happen when the CPU temp is in the high 60 / low 70) and I have not overclocked anything. Apart from setting the RAM to 3600MHz in the BIOS.

All drivers are up to date according the MSI Live verification and manual comparison. (Not 100% sure for AMD drivers)

I also do net get a BSOD, even though I disabled automatic reboots upon a crash.

These are my components:

• Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (stock cooler)
  • MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (MS-7C35)
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo (2x, 16GB, DDR4-3600, DIMM 288)
    • set to DDR4-3600 in the BIOS
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (salvaged from my previous PC)
  • be quiet! Straight Power 11 (650W)

Thank you for reading and helping me solve this issue!

If any further information is required, let me know.

Cheers

Andri

PS: I also attached the MSI Dragon system information.

0 Likes
7 Replies
rawr
Adept I

Try setting the memories clock to 3200. 
I was having some issues like this when trying to overclock the memories. I have 2x16GB too, but mine are DDR-3200, now running at 3600 after a lot of trying and errors. 
Another thing I sugest, is to check the PCH temp, which works at the higher side temperatures in these x570 motherboard. See if it isn't going above 80ºC. I have an Asus Strix - E and the temp is always around 63 - 68ºC.
The other temps and power usage under stress are lower than what I got here.

0 Likes

Hi

I reset the bios which set the RAM clock to auto which works fine.

I am just confused that 3600 MHz didn't work with RAM which is rated for 3600.

Do you think it is worth a try returning them as DOA and trying a new set?

0 Likes
oftech
Journeyman III

hi sir

I also encountered this problem, it will happen occasionally.

3900x  4Ghz/3.9Ghz lock

ThermalrightSilver Arrow 130 PLUS(itx case with no better heat dissipation conditions)

gigabyteX570I 

corsair 32x2 3600c18

asus 1660s(17cm)

I want to know how you solved this problem later.Thanks

0 Likes

Hi

I solved it by accident, when I reset my BIOS. I took a picture of all the changes which were reverted. After this solved my problem (10 consecutive Cinebench runs) I looked at the reverted changes and determined that the only possible cause was the memory clock which turned out to be true.
I have set my memory clock to auto, which according to GPU-Z is roughly 1500-1800 MHz when idling or running Cinebench. I have not looked at it when playing games. 
I have not noticed any major performance drawbacks, even a noticeable gain in Cinebench which is out of the usual margin of difference (like 400 points more if I recall correctly).

I considered to return my RAM as DOA but as there was no noticeable power loss I decided it was not worth the effort.
You can also try to approach the 3600 MHz step by step and see at what point it gets unstable.
If you try this please update me on your findings as I am rather busy atm and don't have the time to tinker with my system.

I hope this helped. Good luck with your system!

0 Likes

Hi there, 

I have the exact same CPU, exact same RAM, and exact same issue. 

When you say you set the RAM to auto do you mean you disabled the XMP profile in the BIOS?

Also, did you ever buy new RAM to see if those sticks or brand was the issue?

Thanks!

0 Likes

I have been having the same restarts for months but only difference is I have the Ryzen 7 2700x... Did what you said and I have possibly fixed the issue!

0 Likes

Same problem weird reboots randomly with 2700x on a MSI b450 carbon ac, and 2x16 DDR4 3200 MHz RAM

What did you mean by setting the ram to auto??

0 Likes