cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

techguy
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: pc upgrade (need help choosing parts)!!!!!

As noted your PSU is not likely to cut it with the new hardware. A Seasonic 650w should be enough as it has ~54 amps. on the 12v rail as the CPU and GPU use about 450w = 37.5 amps max which leaves plenty of power for the other components in the system.. Newegg sells one for ~$110. USD. Any of the 80+ Gold or better models will work fine.

As far as RAM is concerned most people are fine with 8GB. You need to use a 64-bit O/S that supports 8 or more GB of RAM.

0 Kudos
hupsakee
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Ok, i think it will be better if i sold the old pc. since theres so little i can use.

that said i will up the budget to 700 since i want durable parts.

this is where im at right now:

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Here are the changes I would make:

• OCZ or Samsung as the SSD manufacturer
    • Higher quality
  • Corsair RM750X 750w PSU
    • Only €10 more
    • Higher efficiency
      • A PSU is most efficient under 50% load
    • Will last longer
  • Lite-On DVD burner
    • All are about the same quality, go with the cheapest manufacturer
  • Corsair H60 or H80i CPU cooler
    • More powerful, great for low airflow and high temperature installations
    • Quieter
  • At least a 270X if you plan on gaming at 1920x1080 with high detail levels
    • A 360 won't cut it
  • ASUS motherboard
    • MSI will inevitably screw you
      • Missing Some Intelligence
      • Might Suddenly Explode
      • Miserable Sodding Imbeciles
techguy
Forerunner
Forerunner

FYI - PSUs are now efficient over the entire operating range. Buying an excessively large PSU is a waste of money for a number of reasons.

80 Plus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liquid CPU coolers are a poor recommendation for people who do not need one as they introduce a liquid leak liability that a HSF does not create. Even though some people are in denial about the damaged caused by liquid cooler leaks, the fact is the leaks and damage are reported in hardware forums all over the Net because they are very real and far more frequent than liquid cooler fans like to accept. Suggesting that CLCs/AIOs are as reliable as AMD CPUs or other hardware is inaccurate and disingenuous. There is a good reason why 99 percent of all PCs use a HSF to cool the CPU. Liquid cooling is also more expensive and the fans are typically more noisy than a basic quality tower style HSF. Using a liquid cooler on a low power FX-6300 would be a poor choice as a result. The OP's HSF choice should be fine, is cost effective and will never leak coolant to damage his PC hardware. There are over a 100 HSFs that out perform the H60 series CLCs and these HSFs can cost significantly less and they never leak coolant.

Corsair AMD Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - Hydro H60 FrostyTech Review

0 Kudos
qbtheslayer
Challenger
Challenger

Personally I would hold off on any AMD based computer purchase until Zen is released.

Two reasons:

1) you may want to get the newest and latest hardware and with the extra wait, you may even be able to save up more for the upgrade;

2) if the new stuff is still out of your price range, the prices of the older gear should fall.

With Zen on the horizon, why rush and buy "ancient" hardware...  and yes most of the current AMD platforms are extremely old.

QB

hupsakee
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

How can i tell a motherboard has a connection for front case usb and headphone/mic?

0 Kudos
d00m_g4m3r
Adept II
Adept II

If you got an 500W PSU go with Intel + Nvidia for better power consumption. AMD is power hungry consumption.

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Zen on the desktop won't be here until this time next year, and it will require Windows 10, which, depending on if you like Microsoft shoving updates and upgrades down your throat which may or may not brick your system, may rule out Zen. From what I read Zen will feature two "processors" and an interlink bridge, along with SMT, so performance on Windows 7 and 8.1 will no doubt be akin to current performance of Steamroller or Excavator.

techguy
Forerunner
Forerunner

You need better sources for your technical information...  Zen desktop CPUs start shipping in Q4 of '16.

Zen is NOT two processors with an interlink bridge connector. You are probably confusing the leaked 32 core enterprise CPU Zen that uses two 16 core CPUs together for 32 core total CPU package. The reason that two 16 core CPUs are used is because it allows better performance for the application. Zen was designed from the ground up for HD enterprise use as well as consumer products. Zen will run on both Win 7 and 8 with the correct patches. As already stated by AMD multiple times Zen performance is up to 40% greater IPC than the Excavator cores. While Windows is not the ideal O/S for most CPUs, Win 7-8 are not a major deterrent to AMD CPU performance even though Windows O/Ss are designed primarily around Intel CPU architecture. Zen will not suffer any of the issues the CMT AMD model CPUs have experienced. In fact AMD's Zen CPUs are a more refined SMT design of what Intel uses allowing Zen to run well on any O/S that Intel CPUs can run on.

0 Kudos
techguy
Forerunner
Forerunner

The mobo maker's website should list complete specifications for the mobo by model.

0 Kudos