cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

eleitas
Journeyman III

PC turns on, but no post

Hi, I recently purchased a Ryzen 2700x to go inside the new PC that I am building. After getting everything put together, I've found that the PC turns on just fine, including all lights/fans even on the GPU, but I get no POST at all. I also have a motherboard speaker installed that gives me no beeps when the PC is started. After some testing, I think I've ruled out my RAM sticks as they work in another system. I think I've also ruled out my GPU as I've tried more than one to no avail. I'm on my second motherboard and from what I can tell it isn't the issue. I've also tried resetting CMOS by jumping and removing the battery.

At this point I think I've narrowed it down to either the PSU or the CPU. For the PSU, I know about the paper clip test so I know a way to test that. I'm just kind of stuck on the CPU. Aside from sticking it inside a different PC to see if it works (I only have LGA sockets to work with besides this current B450 board) is there anything I can test or try to see if the CPU is what's causing me troubles? I know of breadboarding, but I'm worried about breaking my motherboard and I unsure of how it would tell if the CPU is not working.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated, I'm really hoping I don't have to RMA the chip as I don't think I have a way to package it safely.

• CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
  • GPU: GTX 1660 Ti
  • RAM: 16gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200mhz
  • MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold
  • Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White - TG
0 Likes
8 Replies

According to MSI's website for your board, it has the ability to update to the latest BIOS from a USB drive without any hardware installed, so do that first, update to the latest version. It also says it features a Debug LED, so which light is lit?

The Debug LED's are the part that's kinda throwing me off. Sometimes it says it's my CPU and sometimes only my VGA light goes on. Then sometimes no lights come on and I still get no post at all. So, that's why my assumption is that my PSU is not putting power our like it's supposed to.

I have not tried the bios flashback yet. Back when looking through all of the BIOS updates, nothing involves GPU compatibility and the most recent socket update for Ryzen 3.

0 Likes

Update the BIOS to the latest available regardless of what it says, you're troubleshooting, and your BIOS could be corrupt right now.

I'll do that as soon as my power supply gets back. On my second motherboard and this one has never posted yet like my previous mobo, so I just assumed nothing could have affected the BIOS. I called EVGA about my warranty, and if the new power supply doesn't fix it. I'll try the bios update using flashback and if that does nothing I just gotta hope AMD will let me RMA my CPU even though it's almost been 2 weeks. No bent or broken pins, nor is the IHS scratched.

0 Likes

30-60 days from the retailer depending on their policies, 3 years through AMD.

I've been trying to contact the seller that sold it to me through Amazon, but they won't respond. The box was still sealed, but maybe they sold me a faulty cpu.

0 Likes

Getting scammed by a third party seller on "New" hardware is a distinct possibility, even moreso since they're not responding. Heck, on my first 1800X someone had opened the box, took out the CPU, returned the empty box to Amazon, and they (Amazon themselves) sent it to me. Main reason now I video opening the package and then the product box.

Post a picture of the CPU with a clean heatsink.

If you send anything back for warranty take pictures or a make a video,... 

If something happens while it's been transported or by the poeple there you can proove it was in perfect order before shipping. Make sure serials are recognisable and if possible also add a date in the pictures,...