cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

PC Shuts Down While Gaming - Just upgraded to Ryzen 7 5800x and AIO

PC is shutting down only while gaming (usually about an hour or less into Warzone). Hard shutdown, no error message, everything goes black and I have to flip the PSU switch to reboot. Event logs show nothing.

Current specs:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Cooler: Lian Ali Galahad 240mm AIO
  • GPU: RTX 3070
  • Motherboard: b550 aorus pro AC
  • Memory: Corsair vengeance 3600 32gb 
  • PSU: Corsair cxm650 Watt

I built my pc about a year and a half ago, and decided to upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen 7 5800x (going from Ryzen 7 3800x). I also purchased a Lian Li AIO liquid cooler (previously used Stock wraith cooler). I flashed the bios to newest version (F14) before the CPU swap. Ever since my upgrade, my computer will shut off completely, with no error or bsod, but only while gaming. This has never happened on my previous build. 

I have monitored temps of CPU and GPU and nothing is too hot, CPU is not getting above 70 while gaming. I also ran an OCCT stress test on the CPU for an hour, and nothing crashed. 

I’ve tried so many different things. Clearing CMOS, trying different BIOS versions, swapping to different ram, turning of PBO and any other boost settings, as well as leaving XMP off. I am not overclocking anything. 

I even tried remounting my AIO to make sure it was seated properly on the CPU. 

At this point I’m about to return the 5800x and cooler, because at least my old CPU was stable.   I don’t know if it’s motherboard, PSU, GPU, CPU, or RAM causing this. 

anyone have any thoughts or experiencing something similar? 

It just seems like a weird coincidence that my PSU or MOBO would go out the same time I swap in a new CPU.  

6 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

PSU would be my first guess. 

A 750wtt 80+ Gold would be a better fit for your setup.

You are at minimum for your GPU with your 650wt Bronze PSU.. and the 5800x and AIO are just enough extra demand to send it over the edge now

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Thank you. I actually have a gigabyte 750w GOLD rated PSU. It was bundled with my GPU and I never swapped. I will try swapping PSU and see what happens. 

0 Likes

Is that one of those exploding Gigabyte PSU's that NewEgg was bundling?  I would look into that...

QB

0 Likes

Look up model number before you do .. I wouldn't trust a Gigabyte power supply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI

Newegg was dumping off it's garbage stock of exploding PSU's by bundling them with GPU's

ThreeDee PC specs

Thanks everyone. That’s the main reason I haven’t tried that gigabyte PSU. I just bought a Corsair RXM 850, and will install in a couple of hours and will let everyone know if it solves my problems. 

So have you tried with a 850W PSU? I was having the same issue and have the same config as yours.

0 Likes