cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

BeybladeLevi
Adept I

PC restarting under heavy load (Ryzen 3700x)

Hello AMD Community!

Since AMD e-mail support wasn't able to solve my problem, I thought I'd try it here.
I exchanged my Ryzen 1700 CPU for a Ryzen 3700x about two weeks ago.  (PC Specs below)

There are two problems/questions I am facing:

1) My PC restarts during heavy loads in games like Black Desert Online or Deep Rock Galactic. I was able to run AIDA64 for 30 minutes without a problem, but in these games when there is too much happening on the screen, or during the loading screen, my pc seemingly shuts down and restarts instantly. (So seemingly no logs that might help me.)
2) The voltage and clocks fluctuate immensely. I have read on this forum and on other forums that this is normal for Ryzen, but my temps go up to 80-85 degrees (stock cooler, wraith prism) for short periods of time in games. I tried the windows balanced power plan, ryzen balanced power plan, it doesn't matter. In idle it clocks down like it should, but even the smallest movement of my mouse brings the voltage to 1.4+ in Ryzen Master.

My voltage and clocks are set to auto in the bios. (Performed a CMOS reset today to see if that might help.)

I have tried setting it to MANUAL, which puts it to 3.6Ghz and 1.1V, but I had it "restart" on these settings to.

PC Specs: ASRock AB350 Pro, Ryzen 3700x, G.Skill FlareX 3200 16GB DDR4, RTX 3070, Corsair CX600 PSU. Newest BIOS and AMD Chipset are installed.

If one of you had the same problem or has any recommendations what to do, I'd be glad to hear it.

Best regards and thank you in advance,

Mike

0 Likes
4 Replies

It is a good chance that your PSU is under powered for having both a RTX3070 (650 PSU Minimum required) and a Ryzen 7 3700X processor at full loads while gaming.

Here is Ryzen 7 Power consumption under various loads: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/18.html

Under Gaming loads it can use up to 365 Watts of power:

Screenshot 2021-02-26 095008.png

For the RTX 3070 Maximum gaming wattage is as follows: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3070-gaming-oc/29.html

0 Likes

Alright, I will upgrade my PSU in that case and hope for the best.

Thank you very much for your comment!

EDIT: I will try to find data for power consumption in games for the Ryzen 1700, since I used that one in the same setup without any problems -> do you by any chance have a power consumption graph for gaming for the R7 1700? Couldn't find the data on techpowerup, on most sites it says 65W TDP as the standard value.

0 Likes

The Ryzen 1700 consumes a lot less than the 3700X. That is why your PSU had sufficient power with the 1700 processor.

Here is a old article review on the 1700 showing Power usage from Tom's Hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1700-cpu-review,5009-8.html

of course this is with a less powerful GPU installed than the RTX3070.

NOTE: I am not saying definitely that it is a power issue but since both the GPU and CPU are not overheating does seem to indicate a power issue.

When a computer crashes and restarts by itself without being touched usually indicates a Power issue, Overheating issue, Overclocking issue, Defective Hardware issue, incompatible issues,  and sometimes a driver issue.

I got the 650 Watt PSU minimum for the RTX3070 from Nvidia website itself.

What probably is happening is the GPU or CPU are generating very high or Peak wattage spikes, over 600 watts, that the PSU can't handle and causes it crash and restart.

0 Likes

Thank you very much for your help!
To test this I limited the power draw of my GPU to 50% and so far it has worked out fine.
Ordering my new PSU today and I hope that my problem will be solved that way.

Thanks again for the help and graphs!