cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Bono3478
Adept I

PC randomly restarts even under light load

Within the past year, I have upgraded my machine. Currently have a Ryzen 7 5800X on an ASUS ROG Strix B450 motherboard, along with a 3070, RAM is Ripjaws DDR4-3600 16GBx2. Within the past 2-3 months I have been experiencing random crashing that happens a bunch when I am not playing games. Usually, the PC freezes then goes to a black screen, then restarts. Looking in the event viewer gives me the following error: 

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 2

The processor APIC ID number usually changes too.

I have been looking around for a solution for a while and finally decided to post a thread in hopes that someone has found a solution to my problem, even just temporary. That being said, I also don't know what piece of hardware is causing this, I really don't want to have to spend a nice chunk of change replacing anything. If anyone knows what I should do, any help is appreciated. Thanks

0 Likes
15 Replies
Zolex
Adept III

Install hwinfo64 en check you CPU temps.

What motherboard do you have?
IF you install Ryzenmaster: Does it give's you any CPU temperature?

0 Likes

My motherboard is an ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II, I also do have Ryzen Master but haven't seen any crazy high temps. Right now at idle it is 30 degrees Celsius, and it is at idle that I experience this crashing.

0 Likes
jay1131
Adept III

yes i would check cpu temps. Are you using an aio or air cooler? Could also trouble shoot your psu and connection to the motherboard as that could affect your cpu then motherboard next. Just in that order to make sure you cover and troubleshoot before you send the cpu back or whatever. Can try disconnecting everything but the cpu and fans to see if it turns off while idle then put in things piece at a time to see at what point it starts, what temp, or at what was it doing at the time before it turned off. 

0 Likes

I use an AIO, but I haven't seen any crazy high temps. Usually, I am just watching youtube or doing my homework, then out of nowhere the screens turn black, then the PC restarts. As crazy as it may sound I have experienced very little to no crashing while playing games, and recently I have been playing Cyberpunk, Lego Star Wars, and CSGO, to name a few. I did just update my motherboard BIOS to the latest version, literally 2 days ago, and still have random crashing. I will look into troubleshooting and hope it comes up with something.

0 Likes

A processor error could mean the processor is faulty. Are you overclocking it at all? Using PBO? You say temps are ok, but have you checked all hotspot temps in HWINFO32? There is also an L3 cache temperature value there too. Ryzen master only gives you so much information. Youll want to test for max temps. Also what kind of POWER supply do you have?

0 Likes
jay1131
Adept III

Also what was you doing when this started couple months ago? Did anything update like windows or chipset drivers? Can check to see if its installed properly by just taking it out and reseating it with some good paste and checking the bottom of the cooler for any issues. Just some ideas but hopefully something helps.

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

What make and model is your PSU?

How many Ram modules do you have? Try changing them around and try with one at a time..

Ram can go bad over time..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
Poksomanbiko
Adept II

By the sound of your issue, it may be related to a heating and/or cooling problem which might be causing your components to automatically shutdown due to immense heat that they can't perform under. Another possible issue might be related to your BIOS, in-which may be out of date and need to be updated, you can typically find the most recent BIOS version directly from your Motherboard manufactures website. It also might seem that you need a clean install for your current Operating System (OS) due to a un-common Boot error.

Your hardware might be at a major fault here too, make sure that your Random Access Memory (RAM) is properly in place according to your Motherboards manual. Do make sure that every other hardware you have is also inputted 100%, or else you're going to see that "Fatal ERROR" a lot more than average.

The ultra helpful "Make sure that" List:
Make sure that you haven't spilled any Thermal paste or anything else that might damage your components over time.
Make sure that your case isn't dusty, and to clean out your case's dust filters for maximum airflow.
Make sure that your power supply is giving out enough Wattage for your PC.
Make sure that you have no viruses on your OS, (for obvious reasons).
ESSPECILLY make sure that ALL of your drivers are up to date.

~ Ari the somewhat Intelligent Tinkerer
0 Likes

I just updated my BIOS the other day to the latest for my motherboard, the latest being from 03/22/2022. Looking back in event viewer the first reported crash happened on January 7th of this year, this is around a month of having this new machine. What is really confusing in my mind is why these crashes are taking place when I am watching youtube or browsing google or whatever. I will have to crack open the PC this weekend to do a spot check and to get the specs of my power supply. The one thing that would make the most sense as being the cause of the problem would be my power supply, as it is the oldest component and I didn't replace it when I built this machine. In fact, I hope it is the power supply and not the CPU or motherboard as the power supply wouldn't be too difficult to replace. To answer some other questions I haven't done any manual over-clocking on anything. And I hope this next statement will help clear some possible causes up: I have disabled the AMD PBO and haven't had a crash so far.

0 Likes
Qanatoz
Challenger

Every time change PSU after buying new GPU or CPU. If it older then 3 years or to sync your hardware upgrades.

I suggest you never use old one with new hardware.

As for your error it saying that your CPU failing. It can be happen if your PSU failing or CPU/Motherboard/RAM with defect.

1. Set system to defaults (use jedec 2400-3200 for RAM)

2. eject all unnecessary hardware

3. test memory by inserting 1 module. Change slot after testing.

4. replace GPU with less power consumption for testing if you have one

Every time doing tests use hardware monitoring like hwinfo. To test PSU you can use OCCT.

If nothing happening under load for hours try to add hardware by 1 piece then do testing again.

Qanatoz_0-1651097472337.png

0 Likes

I opened up my PC today to check my power supply, it is an EVGA Bronze 700 Watt. Any recommendations, do I go for an upgrade or should I still rock with what I have?

0 Likes

You should 1000% upgrade your PSU immediately

The reason being that power supplies are relatively cheap nowadays, and you can get a 80+ Gold rated 750-800 watts PSU for a closed minimum of 140 USD at exactly MSRP pricing. (edited)

~ Ari the somewhat Intelligent Tinkerer
0 Likes

Alright will do, thanks for the advice!

Deemon69
Elite

Hello!

It is not necessary to invent that the processor is faulty. The processor cache hierarchy error occurs after the error and reboot of the PC. This is your processor saying that it was given on the head when rebooting)))Try disabling DEP Windows.

0 Likes

I wanted to make sure I tested this for a while before giving this advice but here it is: Turn down your XMP RAM profile from whatever you have it now to a lower speed. For example, I changed mine from 3600mHz to 3200mHz and it has stopped all crashes. I think it's because it gives the computer more space to work with. Hope this helps us both for a long time.

0 Likes