cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cytastorm
Journeyman III

PC Build with Threadripper 1950x won't boot.

Have my build first:

Desktop
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E Gaming (BIOS version 1002)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB)

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 inch

PSU: Seasonic Prime 650 Titanium

So I've done what I think is right, installed everything, and connected all the cables. I hook the HDMI from the monitor into the computer, and power everything on. The motherboard starts POSTing (the 4 little LEDs), but either ends up with a white LED and gets stuck on either Q-Code 0d or 68. Monitor stays black, no boot, no BIOS, nothing.

I've checked my RAM to make sure it's on the QVL list for the motherboard.

All fans are running.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
7 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

cytastorm, I have a 1950X and use a 850 Watt power supply.  May well not be your problem, but ultimately I suggest you get more power.  This processor has quad channel memory support and I recommend you buy a quad channel memory kit.  If you want 32 GB, I recommend a 4x8GB kit because it will be single rank.  Memory being dual channel should not prevent booting just cause memory transfers to run at half speed.  Please do a Clear CMOS using the instructions in your user manual.  If it still fails to boot, please update to the latest BIOS using FlashBack - CPU not required, see manual.  What is your CPU cooler?  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks for replying. I've gotten my computer checked out and it seems like it's the RAM/Motherboard that's defective, either the RAM was defective straight out of the box or the motherboard fried the RAM. I've ordered new RAM sticks (4x8GB, was planning to switch to that after reading up on the Threadripper). I'll see if that fixes it.

As for power, I don't think that should be an issue, PCPartPicker says my computer should take up ~450W, but thanks for the heads up, may well replace it if it can't supply enough power.

I'll try your other tips as well.

Thanks!

Oh, and my CPU cooler is a NZXT Kraken X62.

0 Likes

cytastorm, PCPartPicker is notorious for too weak power supplies.  Good luck, thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Damn, alright. I'll take your advice and get an 850W PSU.

Thanks.

0 Likes

before you needlessly upgrade your PSU you should check a few things first.  A 650 Watt High Quality PSU should have enough power to boot your computer up unless the PSU is completely defective and not outputting any power.

You mentioned your Motherboard's "WHITE" Trouble LED was lit. This indicates you have problems with your RTX 2070 GPU Card. Make sure you have all the GPU Power connectors connected to the GPU card from the PSU, if applicable and installed in the proper PCIex16 slot.

From your Manual concerning Q-Code 68:

and concerning Q-Code OD:

Make sure all your Power connectors to the Motherboard are connected including both CPU Power connectors:

Do you hear more than one beep when your power up the computer?

You can always test the PSU power output by using a Mutimeter on one of the 12vdc plugs after powering on. If it reads 11.4 VDC  or higher your PSU is outputting the proper amount of power to the Motherboard.

Good luck!

By the way, PCParts doesn't manufacture any parts. They just sell them. If they suggest a PSU it is your responsibility to see if it is a good recommendation or not.

According to PSU website, the RTX 2070 requires a total system PSU of 500 watts plus your Ryzen has a TDP wattage of 180 Watts.  So it might be wise to upgrade. But, in my personal opinion, your current PSU of 650 Watts should be sufficient in powering up your computer since I doubt your RTX and Ryzen are consuming maximum power at POST.

0 Likes

Here are some links concerning Code 68 and VGA LED lit with PCI HOST BRIDGE INITIALIZATION.

Q-Code Error 68 - Asus X99 Deluxe II 

Asus X99-A doesn't POST with Q-Code 68 and VGA_LED solid red | Tom's Hardware Forum 

From Tech1 Thread concerning the 0d Code: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/list-of-dr-debug-bios-codes/114364 

0d	Problem related to memory, VGA card or other devices. Please clear CMOS, re-install the memory and VGA card, and remove other USB, PCI devices.

Thank you for your reply. I've gotten my computer to boot by doing a BIOS Flashback and replacing the defective RAM. 

0 Likes