cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jmangz
Journeyman III

Overclocking is broken

Overclocking is broken. I have 1700 and x370 Taichi, but I'm reading other people have the same problem on different boards. I've tried three different things. Going with simple 3800ghz and 1.37v. I'm on latest BIOS and Windows 10, high powered setting.

1. I manually set frequency and voltage of CPU in BIOS to be higher, but when I boot into Windows it's stuck at 1.55ghz. It shows it as proper frequency in BIOS, but CPUZ and Ryzen Master show it as 1.55ghz.

2. If I leave voltage to Auto and change frequency only, my display doesn't turn on.

3. If I try to overclock in Ryzen Master, it just works until the computer reboots, then it's back to original settings. However, I get an error anyway. (https://imgur.com/a/GkMuj)

People are saying this is fixed with other mobo manufacturers https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6ngb22/r71700_oc_with_msi_15ghz_bug_auto_vcore_underclock/

Does AMD have any idea when they will release a new AGESA to fix this?

0 Likes
15 Replies

Re: Overclocking is broken

That question should be addressed to your motherboard manufacturer, in this case ASRock. It is not an AMD problem else all boards would have that issue.

jmangz
Journeyman III

Actually, other boards do have this problem? I literally linked you a thread where it's an MSI motherboard having the same issue. And I could also find other threads from Google as well!

Good to know people around here don't actually read the threads. I can tell this will be a fruitful experience from AMD!

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Windows has many issues with the CPU tab in performance. It is real bad with overclocked memory too.

Whereas I didn't have that problem with my ASUS X370-Pro or my ASUS Crosshair VI.

0 Likes
jmangz
Journeyman III

Thank you for yet another insightful comment. Bravo!

0 Likes
rebelyell
Exemplar

jmangz  well i will say it has happend to me with a little different crcumstance but. ill give you some tips.  i am not sure what errors get thrown on tht board but on asus if you get to many f9 errors it will also effect windows thus windows errors need cleared or its a ^%$# to get things back to normal on that side.  also you will need to clear cmos and possibly reset cpu correctly. you can search for cpu resetting. which it may need.

on the other hand mixing a non xfr cpu with a xfr board does seem to not match very well.

0 Likes
rebelyell
Exemplar

i can tell ya right now if your setting on 45c at an idle there is an issue on the temps.. thus ryzen will declock to compensate..

0 Likes
whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

Curious, what kind of memory are you using since you're getting MEM_VTT errors?

What else was changed in the BIOS (specifically - have you changed vCore at all)?

Also, are you getting the same issues when the BIOS is set to "Optimal settings" or at default?

0 Likes
rebelyell
Exemplar

i think his windows power plan is set too low like 5%... use performance power plan and open it up and set cpu minumum too 100%. once the errors are fixed...

0 Likes