cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gr12mcb
Journeyman III

Over heated processor

If the computer gets a blue screen after a half hour of use and I can reboot it does that mean the processor is a little melted

GG McBride

0 Kudos
6 Replies
abi
Challenger

Re: Over heated processor

the blue screen is related to CPU thats why  you say that the cpu is melted? Did he reached high temps?

0 Kudos
gr12mcb
Journeyman III

Thanks for the answer

0 Kudos
brianvd2
Adept II

We really do need more information about your system specifications and what bluescreen you get and in what conditions, such as playing games or browsing the internet and how long after boot it hapens. Does the bluescreen display an error code or message?

0 Kudos
gr12mcb
Journeyman III

This is a 4 year old mother board750 watt power supplythe CPU fan was disabled leading me to think that the 8 core FX processor has meltedthe motherboard is now on a leave of absence waiting for a qualified answerShould I rebuild or pass it on to the rubbish yard?

Gregory G McBride

0 Kudos
brianvd2
Adept II

Hi, usually a overheating cpu will throttle to keep itself cool. Meaning it will lower its performance significantly to reduce the heat and keep on working, In most cases this won't cause permanent damage but it depends on how long it has been going on. Blue screens are still windows related so doing a clean windows installation might solve the bluescreen problem.

0 Kudos
techguy
Forerunner

The FX series CPUs have both a throttling temp and a shut-off temp if the throttling does not lower the temp to safe levels. The CPU may be fine but there could be mobo issues if the mobo wasn't properly designed for 8-core FX CPUs as they draw considerable electrical power that many AM3+ mobos VRMs are unable to deliver and thus can burn out.

0 Kudos