cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Sheikh_imran_sh
Journeyman III

Oracle VMWare Linux on AMD Ryzen installation error

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and i'm trying to install oracle linux (firstly 7.6, then 8.0) on an Oracle VM VirtualBox.

I've downloaded Oracle Linux 7.6 from the official website (edelivery.oracle.com), this version: V980739-01. But, when i tried to install it in the virtual machine, after chosing install, the virtualbox froze. I tried to do some settings in the Graphics section of the VirtualBox but nothing helped. Source

Then, i thought it was a problem with this version of linux, so i've downloaded Linux 8.0 from the same website and then, instead of getting frozen, i've got this error from the VirtualBox:

This kernel requires an x84-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. 
This processor is not supported in this version of RHEL.

I think that this was also the problem with the previous generation (7.6) which i tried to install, but instead of giving me this error, it just froze.

I know that my Ryzen is a 64 bit processor. What is the problem then? What version of linux should i try to download?
In the download page, I have to choose between

Linux ARM 64-bit
x86 64 bit

I've chosen x86 64 bit and then I had to choose between

Oracle Container Services for use with Kubernetes 1.1.9.1, 633.2 MB
Oracle Linux Release 7 Update 6 Boot ISO image for x86 (64 bit), 578.0 MB
Oracle Linux Release 7 Update 6 UEK Boot ISO image for x86 (64 bit), 606.0 MB
Oracle Linux Release 7 Update 6 source DVD 1, 3.5 GB
Oracle Linux Release 7 Update 6 source DVD 2, 4.4 GB
Oracle Linux Release 7 Update 6 for x86 (64 bit), 4.3 GB
Oracle VirtIO Drivers Version for Microsoft Windows 1.1.4, 68.0 MB

And I chose the Oracle Linux Release 7 Update 6 for x86 (64 bit), 4.3 GB which is this version I mentioned: V980739-01.

I've done the same installation on an Intel 6700 processor and everything worked well. So i'm guessing it has something to do with the AMD processor.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Replies