cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

arcitek
Journeyman III

Noticing light build time difference on project between AMD Ryzen and Intel I7

Can anyone here tell me why we are having this issue using the Ryzen processors with Unreal Engine light builds?  They appear to be noticeable slower than our Intel builds.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/1864073-noticing-light-build-time-d...

0 Likes
2 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Well that forum seems to imply the answer that the Ryzen 3900X works 100% vs. the 3950X. It could be CPU differences or a BIOS thing. Personally the 3900x is a better CPU for what you're doing because it's also the second best gaming CPU in the 3000 series lineup. Now if you were to move to a 5000 series than the 5900X would be the choice over the 5950X. The actual technical difference is beyond what I can explain, I just know what works better for a given task based on reviews and other test results.

"It worked before you broke it!"

Thank you for the reply.  No, the 3900X does not run 100% cpu utilization since I proved that when I asked that owner to build the exact same scene as the one I was testing.  However, his processor built that lighting 2 seconds faster than mine.

Your comment that the 3900x is a better processor seems to be countered on quite a few benchmark tests.  However, benchmarks are what they are but what concerns me is some of the real world testing that was apparently done here. 

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Unreal-Engine-AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series-CPU-Performance-1967/

If you look at the Unreal Light builds, the 3950x appears to be quite faster than many processors.  However, as I mentioned in that post, our group was getting 100% cpu utilization the whole way through the light build in an older Intel I7 cpu where the 3900x and 3950x were not.  The build times between the two were substantial.  I wanted to believe in my Ryzen 3950x but how do I argue what I am seeing in a real world application?!  I will say it does really well in my offline renderers like Vray.

This experience stinks for me because I had ventured to AMD some time ago once before with a CPU and a graphics card.  That experience was less than satisfactory and now this one is beginning to look that way as well.  It is not helping that some people are telling me that Intel has their cpus optimized for some of these Unreal tasks and AMD has none. 

I would say updating my chipset drivers and/ or bios may help but we have the same results on two completely different machines.  One is literally brand new (3 weeks old).  I do not know what the answer is.

0 Likes