Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

stofnest
Journeyman III

Normal SoC power usage on 3700x cpu?

Hello,

For the AMD 3700x CPU what is the expected power usage for only the SoC part? On my MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (all relevant settings auto in latest BIOS) in Windows 10 1903 idle HWInfo64 reports 20-25 watts for only the SoC (Soc Power SVI2 TFN), the cores themselves are only a couple of watts. Is this normal, as I've also seen screenshots showing only 5 watts for SoC ? Changing memory speeds etc doesn't seem to make much of a difference for me. Will this damage my new CPU ?

0 Likes
4 Replies
stofnest
Journeyman III

Lowering memory and/or fabric speed doesn't matter much, powerplans don't seem to affect it.

Example: here is average SoC power 7.4 Watt (MSI meg Ace motherboard)

x570.jpg

here is mine: around 20 Watt

SoC01.png

0 Likes

I checked at idle and ran a cinebench r20 with my 3800x/Asrock x370 Professional Gaming  and checked, it stays around Soc Current 9.9w and SoC power 11.2w for me..

brucer
Forerunner

I've read that hwinfo is bugged and not reporting correctly for the new Ryzens..

0 Likes
pietka23
Adept II

Same here, very high SOC current and power draw. 3700X on a MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. Rest of my system: 2x8GB Patriot Viper 3733MHz, Seasonic Focus Plus 850W, PowerColor RX Vega 56, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB and 3 sata drives.SOC.png