cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mga814
Journeyman III

Non-OC AMD Ryzen 7 5800x permanently at 100% (and over)

Long one here, sorry in advance but not sure what else to do.

I am at my wit’s end and will literally Venmo $50 to anyone who can provide a solution and explanation for this, not that anyone can be expected to take my word on that.

Had no issues with PC after installing new CPU over a month ago, never overclocked. Two days ago, I was playing VR (Oculus Quest 2 via Air Link, not that I think that matters) and everything was completely normal. Turned off PC like usual when I was done. 

After work the next day, turned on my PC to play VR again and noticed immediately that as soon as the PC had to load anything visually, the game tanked and dropped to 3-5 FPS and became very unstable. Figured it was a router bandwidth issue so switched to a physical cable to Link but the exact same issue was present.

Sat down to try more conventional gaming and while things mostly seemed to run fine (better than the VR), the games were very prone to stuttering and were unstable as well. For example, trying to change the game resolution from 1080p to 1440p would cause the game to freeze for 15+ seconds, and half the time this would then cause the game to complete crash to desktop. 

I also noticed that if I had a video/movie playing on VLC or the Videos application, opening a file or really clicking on anything would cause several seconds of stutter in the video, which I had never experienced before. Naturally, I figured something may be up with my CPU. Sure enough, I opened task manager and it was sitting at 100% use. This does not seem tied to any specific application or process, and TM will read that whatever I have running in the foreground is using 90% or more of the CPU. If I close everything and have no applications running, the CPU will read that it’s being used by various Windows processes.

I tried numerous first and third party hardware monitoring apps to see what was happening and they all agreed that my clock speed was constantly sitting between 3800mhz and 4700mhz (usually closer to 4700) despite it supposedly having a non-OC max speed of 3800. I then went through every setting I could think of to see if this was being enabled somehow. I checked the AMD proprietary software, which read the abnormally high speed and usage but all my OC and manual settings were normal. My UEFI settings all seemed normal and unchanged, all reading non-OC. I updated my UEFI anyway, to no avail.

I reinstalled drivers for every component of my PC, to no avail. I did a full reinstall of Windows, to no avail. I did see that for some reason the minimum processor state for the High Performance Mode had become set to 100, but changing this had no effect on the issue.

I DID notice, curiously, that changing the Windows Power Mode settings seemed to have some effect. EVERY single mode except ‘Balanced’ leaves me with my now-usual issue of CPU usage, with no difference between the modes. ‘Balanced’ causes the Task Manager readings to go back to normal, but the other hardware monitoring tools still say that it’s now sitting at 3800mhz constantly, while occasionally spiking back to 4700mhz if I open a new application or something.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Windows power plan balanced mode is recommended for the 5xxx series.

Use that and turn off cool & quiet in bios which should allow higher boosts when needed.

You could ask on your motherboard support forum, or an overclockers owners thread for optimal non oc bios settings for your combo.

If that doesn't help, you may need to look at any startup apps which may be causing it.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

What are the rest of your PC specs .. including power supply make/model..?

Type of cooling on your 5800x?

What BIOS revision are you running on your motherboard?

The more detail you can provide on your setup ..the better

When you reinstalled Windows .. was it a CLEAN install? (Delete all partitions on boot drive during install) .. Are you running more than one drive? ..ie .. boot drive and then another data drive ...etc

IF you didn't do a Clean install AND you are running more than one drive ..it's possible you might be infected with something like a crypto miner or similar ... maybe

You could run an offline scan with Windows Defender .. or go to:

majorgeeks.com

for your one stop shopping of free stand alone scanners like ADWCleaner ..etc

What ARE you using for virus protection? Check your add-ons in whatever browser(s) you use.. especially if you log into them so all your favorites and what not pop up .. 

Windows Defender + Free OpenDNS account + Ublock Origin in your browser(s) = Low Resource/Great Protection

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
ryzen_type_r
Challenger

The CPU going past 3.8 ghz is not considered overclocking, it's frequency boosting and is standard for pretty much all desktop CPU's made in the last decade or so (some exceptions for low power SKU's).  Totally normal for Ryzens to do this even when doing something simple like opening an application.  It will clock back down when there's less CPU demand.

This behavior can be disabled in BIOS if you want, but by itself is not the cause of your problems.  That constant 100% load even at idle is not normal though.

AMD recommends the standard Windows Balanced power profile for the 5000 series.  But it's interesting that other plans cause that 100% load.  Are you on Windows 11, or 10?  I'm on 10 and my 5800X never has that 100% load at idle issue with any power plan.

There's a hidden power plan setting called Processor Idle Disable which is normally set to 0 (allow CPU idling), but if set to 1 (disable idling), Task Manager will be constantly pegged at 100% load.  You can't normally see this setting in Windows control panel, but QuickCPU can give you access to this and all other hidden power plan settings.  Just be very careful what you change.

0 Likes