cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

somecleverBS
Adept I

No response on an RMA.

I submitted an RMA for my threadripper 3990X on Tuesday, 11/10/2020, and have heard nothing since then. Original ticket number 8201021096. 

This is very stressful as I use this computer for work and it has already been down way too long - I spent a few days troubleshooting and replacing components myself and then RMA'd the motherboard through ASUS,  The only thing left that could be the problem is the Processor - and I know it was installed correctly because everything worked fine since I built the system in February and I only started having any issues a month ago: freezing randomly in windows, and finally freezing on the ASUS boot screen every time I try to boot the PC.  I can get into Bios, but can't even perform a windows install on a blank drive.  There needs to be some kind of system to check on an RMA status, if for nothing else to see where you are in a queue if there are a lot of people ahead of you, as opposed to not knowing if your ticket is lost or deleted.

Any update would be appreciated.  Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Replacement CPU has arrived, installed, AND FINALLY WORKS!  in the middle of reinstalling all the drivers, updates, and software now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies

Sorry for your wait. I know from past experience it can take several days for them to get back to you. In the past sometimes the moderators could look it up. I would mention one but with the new forum I don't know who they are or even if they are anymore. 

Thanks Pokester, 

I was definitely hoping a mod would be able to check for me.  I had seen a couple other posts where they provided RMA info to other users.

They might if they see it. I have no idea though how to contact or mention them on this new forum. 

I just probably shot myself in the foot, but I reported my previous comment as inappropriate;-)  Perhaps at least they will see it?

Just got an email asking for photos of receipt and processor this morning.  I will update as I hear more.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! Hope they get you sorted as quick and trouble free as possible. Good Luck!

somecleverBS
Adept I

Finally got RMA approval today.  Just dropped my processor off with fedex.  Will update when I hear back again.

AMD has accepted my RMA and emailed saying they will send a replacement, but is there any way to find out what the problem was with the first one?  Do they run tests on RMA processors or do they just send replacements when the old ones arrive?

0 Likes

Nope, you'll never know. Just like mobo's an GPU's unless warranty got voided somehow they simply replace the product, end of story. Shame because it would be nice to know what exactly failed or if it was truly bad. 99% manufactures replace, no questions asked, no answers given. 

"It worked before you broke it!"

Fun new update, I created a new ticket with the RMA department to see if I could get some kind of tracking number, and it seems they don't have any stock to send me right now.  They didn't provide any kind of estimate on how long that would take...

0 Likes

wow, so a week after they told you they're sending the replacement, you had to open a ticket to learn they don't have any to send and it could take forever for all they care ? 

Scary now to think they just received my cpu today and didn't even acknowledge it yet ...

I have to say that many are sending in CPU's that truly aren't "bad". Misconfiguration is getting more common with all the confusion about AMD advertising specific boost clocks and FCLK's running at greater than1800mhz. Just not happening, not even with the 5000 series. They all peak at 1800 on the FCLK, unless you hit the silicon lottery. Test after test I've yet to see anyone hit 2000mhz FCLK on any 5000 series CPU. 1900 is a struggle but 1800 works. 

So AMD is getting inundated with RMA's and they didn't produce near enough to keep up with initial demand, let alone RMA's. Be very sure before you RMA! Long wait times.

"It worked before you broke it!"

I agree on the global message you're trying to convey here, especially since those RMA'ing just out of losing silicon lottery are the ones making the real issues RMA longer then it should ...

However neither did OP or myself ever spoke about issues with reaching specific OC/FCLK targets of any kind here, both suposedly legit case of a dead CPU and his is not even a 5000 series, so knowing they are in shortage on other models too is not giving a warm feeling, nor does having to open ticket to learn that 

As said quite a number of times, main issue i'm having with their process is lack of communication, we shouldn't have to chase them to learn about delays when it touches our work tool, not buying those CPUs in servers doesn't make their use/purpose any less professional and not all AMD customers are poser willing to show off their benchmarks / in need of winning the golden sample in the silicon lottery to do so

@mackbolan777 wrote:

I have to say that many are sending in CPU's that truly aren't "bad". Misconfiguration is getting more common with all the confusion about AMD advertising specific boost clocks and FCLK's running at greater than1800mhz. Just not happening, not even with the 5000 series. They all peak at 1800 on the FCLK, unless you hit the silicon lottery. Test after test I've yet to see anyone hit 2000mhz FCLK on any 5000 series CPU. 1900 is a struggle but 1800 works. 

So AMD is getting inundated with RMA's and they didn't produce near enough to keep up with initial demand, let alone RMA's. Be very sure before you RMA! Long wait times.

You are spot on. 

In addition this is what happens more often than not when early adopting. It is best to wait a couple moths for the bugs to get worked out before buying new hardware. With new stuff it is often so hard to know is the CPU, is the memory isn't compatible anymore. This happens a lot they validate on an earlier processor but not on a new gen cpu. Then add in bios updates and chipset drivers, things can have stability issues anywhere along the line. I am never in a hurry to put myself into that situation. 

0 Likes

Latest update.  Although AMD has not responded with an update, I did just get a Ping through my FedEx account that I have a shipment coming that originated in Miami and is sending out of Texas, so I am pretty sure that is it.  Very good to know it is on it's way. I really think an automated status update page would be a huge boost to this process for AMD, benefiting both parties substantially.  It would prevent their actual human representatives from having to respond to tickets for information that could easily be accessed with a simple RMA or support ticket number.

Replacement CPU has arrived, installed, AND FINALLY WORKS!  in the middle of reinstalling all the drivers, updates, and software now.

0 Likes

0 Likes

I have the same problem. I have a dead ryzen 5 3400G, have completed a support enquiry, and raised 2 tickets, waited over 4 weeks, and have had no response. AMD UK support is terrible. I had an issue once with an Intel CPU, support in Nederlands answered me same day, and shipped a new CPU the same week. Very disappointed with AMD UK.