cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

j96j
Adept I

Newly built PC [5800X, X570 Tomahawk] crashing / rebooting, no BSOD screen, found temporary fix

Cross post from Reddit

TL;DR:
Newly built PC keeps restarting on stock settings. Changed override CPU Voltage to 1.25v, PC stops restarting.
However, CPU clock speed is stuck running at base clock (3.8 GHz).

----------------

I apologize in advance, English isn't my first language.

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity OC

CPU: Ryzen 5800X, Cooler: Noctua NH D-15, latest CPU chipset driver.

Motherboard: MSI X570 Tomahawk, BIOS Version: 7C84v14

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB), 3600c18

PSU: Corsair RM850 (2019 edition grey)

Case: MasterBox NR600, 3 120mm intake fans, 1 120mm exhaust fan

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2, OS build 19042.630

GPU Drivers: 457.30

Background Applications: Issue occurs randomly even with no applications running.

-------

Description of Original Problem:

I built this PC around 2 weeks ago. No errors during windows installation and during BIOS settings. However the problem occurs after the computer boots up into windows.

The computer keeps crashing / rebooting, after 1 second to 5 minutes of booting up to desktop screen. No BSODs nor freezes, my screen just went black and then pc reboots. Happens with or without any applications running. Also happens even if on stock BIOS settings (no overclocking whatsoever).

Checked event viewer, and it produces critical errors during the restart error. The error is from Source: Kernel-Power, Event ID: 41, Task Category: (63). General: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
Screenshot of Event Viewer: https://imgur.com/a/cSE8TG2

Troubleshooting:

Tried disabling RAM's XMP, CBP, PBO, global cstate control. However, pc still crashed with same error.

I also sent my 5800x to my local shop that I bought from. In their 2 days of testing, the CPU works fine and didn't restart. The motherboard they're using is an ASUS B550 though. I also tried using an old CPU (3500x) in my current build, and my PC didn't crash at all. And so the 5800x is sent back to me, and this past 2 weeks I've been trying to fix everything in BIOS settings.

Temporary Fix:

I went into BIOS and made changes to the CPU voltage core (override CPU voltage to 1.250 V). However with this override cpu voltage, my CPU clock speed stays at base clock (3.80 GHz). After making the above changes, the PC haven't restarted at all! Even setting the RAM to XMP speed and while gaming, the PC did not have any problems.

I tried raising the CPU clock speed to 4.6 GHz, however the restarting problem occurs again. Tried lowering the CPU clock speed to 4.4 4.2 4.0, but the computer keeps restarting until the CPU clock speed is at 3.8 GHz.

CPU is running 40 - 45 degrees idle, 65 - 75 degrees gaming.

Hence, what should I do? Should I try any other BIOS settings? Is there a step by step tutorial on how to run my 3600cl18 RAM to 3200 MHz?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
2 Replies
buildorbust
Adept II

"Should I try any other BIOS settings?"

PBO settings EDC limit cause random reboot. it should be fixed in next agesa bios. EDC limit <180A - random reboot. EDC limit >= 200A - stable. 

Enabling PBO void warranty. So not use PBO. Wait for new agesa bios. 

0 Likes
pixseal
Journeyman III

Thanks!  I also have a 5800X in a Tomahawk and had the same problem.  After searching for and changing the CPU voltage, my new build is now stable.

0 Likes