cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dilacerated
Adept II

Re: New Ryzen 5 2400g build crashes after video playback post waking from sleep

Well the goal here all along was the present best APU in existence which is the 2400g.  Something low power but with the muscle to game at pretty decent quality settings vs. the electricity guzzling setup I previously had just so that anytime my sons friends come over they can play L4D2, TF2 and so on.

Anyhow bad run with only my second Ryzen but it could have been any of the three main components to blame so I'll chalk this up to ____ happens.

As for the restocking fee --> Newegg has it down as a full refund back to my Preferred account and they paid for shipping.  Package is in the hands of FedEx so they'll get it likely Tuesday.

I know there's a lot of commentary swirling around with Newegg and the Chinese ownership but I've never had a problem with them and both personally and professionally have a lifetime tab in the six figures.  Their site navigation, filters and search are leaps and bounds better than Amazon's.  Plus as a company I really appreciate their efforts against patent trolls.

New setup is looping UNIGINE's Valley now and ran video in VLC (3.0.2) overnight without issue.  For the record I have the system running off the OS installation that I started this thread with.

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

That's cool to know that you are using the same OS too as many would suspect the OS no matter what. With as many issues as I have seen with these things both board and cpu I have suspected hardware issues myself more than anything mostly because if it were all of them you would hear about it in the news, the issue is really just a bit bigger than what you see hear normally. I would say that it is probably some lax QC going on in the early manufacturing. It will likely get much better as the work the kinks out in the fab. 

Enjoy your new system!

0 Kudos
dilacerated
Adept II

72 hours in and the new hardware has yet to glitch in any way.  Since my last post I have had the system scripted to loop/run eight hours of continual x264 video playback in VLC, six hours of Valley, two hours of video, four hours of Prime95 and then four hours of Heaven.  Have intervened twice to put the system to sleep (once manually and the second time I stopped everything and let the system sleep on its own according to the Ryzen Balanced Power Config Profile).  Let the system cool down for a while then woke it up and restarted the script.

Tonight I also spent a few hours playing Portal 2 with my son, after shutting down the script, and it is smooooooooooth at 1080P 2xAA and everything set to "Very High" or "High".  It's back running the script now.

Can't stress enough that this is the exact same upgraded (8.1 to 10) OS environment so it wasn't anything software and definitely was hardware.  Unfortunately it could have been any of the three main components to blame so it all had to go .

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

So happy you can put this behind you!

Happy Gaming! .....oh and video.....

0 Kudos
dilacerated
Adept II

Thank you !

I have to say this is a great chip now that I have everything functioning stable.  My lone gripe is on the decision to do TIM on the Ryzen APU's between the die and heat spreader vs. soldering.  In the past some APU's were soldered and while this thing doesn't necessarily require such it would certainly benefit from it as seen by the thermal decrease obtained from delidding/using liquid metal instead of TIM.

I'm not interested in delidding this chip but am on the fence with keeping the Wraith Spire in use vs. getting a Noctua NH-U12S.  Can almost certainly see a decision on that front coming in the next couple of months as ambient temps go into the 90's.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

first thing, check for a BIOS update for your motherboard

windows 10 v 1803 still has many festerring issues to fix and many will be fixed next week on tuesday

0 Kudos
dilacerated
Adept II

1803 actually made things interesting today...

I upgraded to it last night, wife called me today saying that everything she was playing was turning blue.  People looked like they were in Avatar.  I'm creating a new thread for that issue.

0 Kudos