cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pokester
MVP

Re: New Ryzen 5 2400g build crashes after video playback post waking from sleep

I'd say it's time for an RMA either that board or processor has an issue.

0 Kudos
misterj
Exemplar

dilacerated,  I still think you need a fresh install of the latest W10, the order of removing the drivers makes no difference.  If you get a new board, you will have to reinstall.  At this point, I certainty cannot say that it would correct your issues.  I would also suggest you look into G.Skill memory with Samsung B-die chips (Ryzen and B-dies seem copacetic).  Please do go to factory default settings before more testing.  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
dilacerated
Adept II

BSOD at 6:27AM this morning while playing back video in VLC overnight:

Bug Check 0x116 VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Temperature has never been an issue as my house is kept at 65F and the Spire cooler kept the chip under 70C when running Prime95.

Am down to the final 48 hours before returning everything.  I'm not fond of G.Skill RAM as they can't seem to keep their sinks LOW to work with many air coolers which I may or may not someday want to put in this machine.

Anyhow will put a different disk in and install the latest 16299 build on that and see if the same problem occurs before beginning the fun of RMA'ing...  Wheeeee!!!

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

Did you try Windows 10 1803 yet?

0 Kudos
dilacerated
Adept II

No am sticking with 1709 (10.0.16299.402) for now.  Have video playing and enough to run for the next 24 hours.  Going to call Corsair at 7 and get their take.

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

I think I asked this before sorry if you already answered and I missed it. Does this only happen with VLC? Have you had this issue with other media players? Have you mentioned this issue in any VLC forums. I know I have had issues in the past and some of those guys know exactly what to tweak in VLC to fix stuff. Not saying its not a driver issue one way or the other, just maybe someone already found a workaround and that would be a good place to find it.

0 Kudos
dilacerated
Adept II

The glitches mentioned have happened when watching streaming video via NHL's GameCenter as well as just when clearning Firefox's cache and when running UNIGINE's Valley benchmark so it's not just a VLC thing.  This is a purely stock setup.

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

I sure think that you might benefit from moving to Windows 1803, you can certainly still do anything you want, but also you still can roll back easy enough if the new Windows isn't helping, but ultimately you have to move forward eventually anyway. Just thinking that this new Windows likely has better support for that processor. I don't however know that for a fact, but have seen several posts form others with chips like yours being happier with the new Windows. Just throwing that out there again.

0 Kudos
dilacerated
Adept II

Not sure but the return decision needed to be decided yesterday so I bought a new 2400g, Motherboard (ASRock X370 Pro4) and Corsair 16GB RAM kit listed on the Raven Ridge QVL and had it all shipped overnight while opting to RMA back this 2400g, ASRock AB350 Pro4 and the Corsair 8GB RAM kit for a full refund.  Thankfully I have a terrific purchasing history with Newegg and have returned less than 1% of anything I've ever bought there since 2001 so their Customer Service took care of me.

Honestly this hasn't been fun but as far as my cred goes I spend my days troubleshooting network equipment for yet to be released 40/100GbE products in Dell/EMC, HPE, Supermicro and Lenovo Servers with switches that all cost tens of thousands of dollars each.  Plus I have been working with the Server 2016 RS4 releases for the last two months through to and including build 17134.  Additionally I run RHEL, SLES, CentOS, Ubuntu Server and FreeBSD at work and at home I've got Windows, FreeBSD, a Sophos UTM (SLES based Firewall), an Ubuntu Server, OS X in VMware Workstation and a handful of Android devices to maintain, so I feel comfortable saying I'm capable of troubleshooting.

That being said I have gone to war with this trying ideas left and right and while I appreciate the "fresh Windows" idea uninstalling all AMD drivers/software and DDU'ing prior to the upgrade should have been good.

Plus this past weekend I (forgot to mention this) uninstalled, DDU'd and reinstalled all AMD drivers/software only to see that Bug Check 0x116 VIDEO_TDR_ERROR occur Tuesday morning.

Anyhow all of the issues mentioned here have very rarely been reproducible and there have been days between events so if it was a Windows OS issue necessitating a clean install you'd think it'd be more consistent/easily reproducible.

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

I don't think any of your issues are you and you are not alone in your issues. I hope that the new stuff you get will fix things. If not and you can exchange again I would recommend a real course change so you can go back to gaming, video or working without having to worry about the computer itself. You should be able to put this stuff together and it just works.  Did Newegg charge you the restocking fee? That is what drove me away from them. I buy mostly from Amazon and MicroCenter now. As when I have problem equipment Amazon pays to take it back and with MicroCenter I have them here locally. I was a huge user of Newegg for 20 years and when the Chinese company bought them out boy did it go down hill, IMHO.  Let me know if the new build is better. Good Luck!

0 Kudos