cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dligac
Adept II

New Ryzen 3900x x570 random restarts, WHEA-logger error ID17, PCI Express Endpoint, no bsod, no log, no dump

3900x w x570 mobo is crashing, new build, random freeze but (way more frequently) restarts with no events in the evenviewer present before the crash happens. It just looks like someone pushed the restart button. I've read about the WHEA-Logger events in the eventviewer and intdeed it seems to be my 2080Ti is causing some issue with the PCI Express slot.
Whether or not this is the reason why my PC restarts is not definitive tho as I have literally no way of determining which component causes the crash. I have an 850W gold rated EVGA power supply so that should not be an issue. Also I was able to play metro exodus with all the fancy raytracing turned up all the way with no issues whatsoever. Then I just checked the windows app store and it suddenly restarted. I have no clue what to do about it. 

157 Replies

What was the turn around time from the moment you shipped out the cpu to amd to receiving a new one? I sent you a pm btw

0 Likes
kldarkman
Journeyman III

I don't understand, in the last two weeks, I had no crash. I only took AMD RYZEN high performance in windows power management, or maybe a windows update had done the job. I played 3 hours / day in two weeks. I will post on the forum next weeks. So I will not change my PSU or my CPU at the present.

0 Likes

Allegedly there is a problem with power saving settings for PCI Express in the "AMD Ryzen Balanced" plan. "High performance" plan has "Link State Power Management" under "PCI Express" set to "Off"

lasogna
Adept I

I have R5 3600 and RX 5700 and have the same problem. Since I built my PC a week ago I've had 6 Event 41 Kernel-Power errors while running Chrome and one black screen while playing GTA. 

0 Likes

Kernel-power is just the warning showing that the machine shutdown - you need to look for bugchecks and note the hex code.  Google it and you'll see the actual blue screen error.  Alternatively you can use windbg to analyze the last crash.

0 Likes
deadlyseven
Adept II

I have the same issue, really regretting switching to AMD. My 3900x will constantly freeze at random times. It can b rock solid and then just crash mulitple times. If I dont disable the global C state on my MB (Ausus crosshair 8 hero) then it crashes the instant I get into the desktop.

0 Likes
playmate
Journeyman III

Hello guys, I'm posting because I have the exact same issues as some other here.

I noticed few things:

1. Issues are usually triggered when alt tabbing from a mid/long session of gaming. Can be GPU/CPU intensive game or not. For example, after a 6 hours session of playing football manager, I alt tab to open WhatsApp, and that's when the problem is triggered.
  2. At first I was getting reboots, I even got a BSOD once. Now, the computer freeze > unfreeze > freeze > unfreeze > freeze > blackscreen/application crashes > unfreeze. A manual reboot resolves the freeze issue.

I updated my BIOS, I hope it will resolve the issue.

EDIT: Updating my BIOS did not resolve the issue. I am now testing chipset drivers + power plan.

I have 3900x in a ASRock 470 Master SLI/ac with a 2080Ti, as well as 2 sticks of 8Go RAM.

0 Likes
goforce
Journeyman III

Hello again.

Finally fixed my issue and it even work with ram@3800mhz and FCLK at 1900mhz.

After multiple tries with my Gigabyte X570 Xtreme and 3900X + 32GB 4*8GB 3600mhz c14 :

I only changed SOC Voltage and "VCORE SOC Load Line Calibration" to high.

SOC Voltage : 1.131V // "VCORE SOC Load Line Calibration" to high // VDDG 0.950v // VDDP (auto) 0.900v

With this setting, CPU VCORE SOC is at ~1.128/1.140v (load/idle) and SoC Voltage is at ~1.112v.

No more hard reboot with ram@3600mhz/1800FCLK, ram@3666mhz/1833FCLK, ram@3733mhz/1866FCLK, ram@3800mhz/1900FCLK.

I recommand to start testing with SOC Voltage at 1.100v (default voltage with ram of 3600mhz+) + load line calibration to "high". (don't go higher than 1.150V even if 1.200V is safe, if you need more than 1.150V on soc for your system to be stable with 3600mhz ram, just RMA the CPU)

So in my case, it was the soc voltage the problem and hard reboot could happen in idle and load, 30min or 12h+ after boot.

300h+ without any hard reboot and i can replicate this issue by lowering the soc voltage

derridada
Adept II

late update: I'm happy to report that the issues are completely resolved. I did have to RMA the CPU and the Motherboard - RMA with AMD was smooth as can be, Asus however was a nightmare... But, the system is running beautifully now, no more random reboots. 

0 Likes
binu
Journeyman III

I do have the same issue

Mother Board: Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Formula (Latest Bios update 1105)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R

RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE CMK16GX4M1E3200C16 -16X 2 -- 32GB

SMPS :  Corsair AX1200

Graphics  -- Saphire Pules RX 580 --8GB

RMA done for both mother board and CPU--> issue still open.

Changed power supply --> issue continued

Raised a technical support with AMD and waiting for the response 

0 Likes

3950X finally out, replaced it and the problem is gone. 

But before do that, i noticed that there were a lot of voltage spikes so i have changed the vcore voltage to 1.35v (which according to some forums its official amd requirement on single core load) and then cpu ratio to x36 which gaved me 3.6ghz in each core the restart issue disappeared. But i hadnt benefits of boost clock. Once cinebench r20 score was about 4600, after it reduced to 4006 which was expecting. i did both power and stress tests to my other components like ram, gpu, psu. There wasnt any problem at all. This confirmed that the problem was the cpu and filed RMA for it. 

0 Likes
teven
Journeyman III

also i have same problem, but i think after i update motherboard and cpu program with armoury crate my pc watch this problem, my pc restart and after login when i watch the task manager its freez!!

my pc

main: x570 F-Gaming

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x

Ram: 2*16 GB G.skill Trident z neo 3200 Mhz

VGA: MSI 2080Ti xtrio 11 GB

Cooler: Asus rog Ryujin 240

SSD: 2 TB Samsung Nvme.M2 Evo Plus + 512 GB Adata Su900

Hdd: 4 TB Western digital Blue + 1 Tb Western Black

Power: 1000W Cooler master Gold

0 Likes
binu
Journeyman III

I happen to change the RAM with one listed in the QVL, its now 24hrs no restart noticed, will continue the test.

Rebooted again

no clue what to do next, written a email to AMD

0 Likes
cbrumeanu
Adept I

I got the same issue, it freezes for 3 secs then reboots TWICE per day at least randomly.   My entire PC is brand new, ALL new parts in it.  32 GB RAM, 850 PSU. 

0 Likes

i have same issue exactly urs, i have fresh windows and it reboots immediately within 10 min, idle or installing nvidia driver, im sick and tired of this wanna return all the stuff i bought :/

0 Likes

I recommend to dismantle the unit and assemble externally to check each item, i happen to figure the problem after i assembled the unit on the desk open with min hardware to start with and then added one by one to find out the culprit

0 Likes

nah, it was the chip itself malfunctioning...the store gave me a replacement and it's been flying ever since now! not a single crash.

0 Likes

great

0 Likes
cptn_sol
Journeyman III

Same story...

Random reboots, no overclocking, no BSOD.

Asus Pro WS X570-AC (bios updated)

Ryzen 3900x + bequiet dark rock pro 4

2x16gb KSM26ED8/16ME (ECC on)

Corsair hx1000i

Sapphire radeon rx590 SE

temps are fine, memtest86 does not show any errors. Reboots are occurring spontaneously, not lined to CPU load.

upd #1: installed latest chipset driver from AMD website - will check up if it helps... 

upd #2: did not help...

0 Likes

Things are getting more and more interesting.

I bought cheap CPU (ryzen 3600) to test and no reboots occurred in like 30 days.

So I've applied with 3900x to AMD warranty and the CPU was replaced.

And now... With old 3900x I had reboots every day, with new one - ones a week.

With ryzen 3600 had no reboots at all.

Any ideas? 

Apply to warranty one more time? Reinstall win 10? Go to church?

0 Likes

started having the same issue - rare and very random powerdowns and reboots on my aurous x570i/3900x a couple of weeks ago. the closest changes to the system were that i added the second m2 drive several days before that, and some time before that installed the latest bios (F30) and re-enabled XMP (which was off for a while after bios update).

at first i had reasons to suspect my UPS, so i switched it to direct power, and it was fine for more than a week, but then it started again en force. tried it with another PSU - it rebooted almost immediately. so i disabled XMP again, but i also found these bios options that sound like they might be relevant:

AMD CBS/x570 settings/SATA aggressive sleep. i read elsewhere that on "intel rapid storage technology" sleep mode on SATAs sometimes caused similar shutdowns, so i disabled it.

Platform Power/Power Loading. the description says "when the power supply is at low load, self-protection will activate, causing it to shut down or fail. if this occurs, please set to 'enabled'", which i did. it sounds like it describes my problem pretty accurately, since all shutdowns happened at low load.

it's too early to tell if the issue is fixed (only one day passed), but the last item sounds quite promising.

@usurper wrote:

started having the same issue - rare and very random powerdowns and reboots on my aurous x570i/3900x a couple of weeks ago. the closest changes to the system were that i added the second m2 drive several days before that, and some time before that installed the latest bios (F30) and re-enabled XMP (which was off for a while after bios update).

at first i had reasons to suspect my UPS, so i switched it to direct power, and it was fine for more than a week, but then it started again en force. tried it with another PSU - it rebooted almost immediately. so i disabled XMP again, but i also found these bios options that sound like they might be relevant:

AMD CBS/x570 settings/SATA aggressive sleep. i read elsewhere that on "intel rapid storage technology" sleep mode on SATAs sometimes caused similar shutdowns, so i disabled it.

Platform Power/Power Loading. the description says "when the power supply is at low load, self-protection will activate, causing it to shut down or fail. if this occurs, please set to 'enabled'", which i did. it sounds like it describes my problem pretty accurately, since all shutdowns happened at low load.

it's too early to tell if the issue is fixed (only one day passed), but the last item sounds quite promising.

İ ve excatly same issue.  3900x , ASUS Tuf x570 lastest bios. Added second m2. Bought new PSu cos i thought rebooting abo.ut PSU

Turned XMP off.

My Corsair 4*8 32GB (3600 CL18) Kit on 2666
PBO 3x
No reboting working OK 2 days.

BUt XMP ENABLE makes reboting    mailed ASUS jusst waiting . 

Crazy I had the EXACT same issue.

Asus TUF x570/ryzen 3600/2080 ti Z trio // 64gb dominator 3600 cl18 // 850w

Sold the nvme drive last week and had no issues until today.

Seems like the culprit on my side is the Fabric clock, have to currently run ram at 3200/1600 to be stable

0 Likes
novack
Adept I

Same issue here.

A bit disheartening that more than a year later is still unclear whats causing this.

Already tried: installing AMD drivers, updated bios, moved to high performance power plan. Still got a restart, but apparently less frequently.

Currently testing the Core Performance Boost and Performance Boost Overdive disabled on the bios.

Setup:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)

2 x 8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (For some reason is not taking them at 3200 in auto)
1 TB WDS100T3X0C-00SJG0

Xfx Rx480 4GB
540W Seasonic

Still getting reboots after disabling Core Performance Boost and Performance Boost Overdive on the bios.

Did a windows memmory test, without issues.

Going to try with a different PSU.

0 Likes

Some things to note:

Despite having set on Windows to not reboot on crash, it still does, originally making me think of a power failure of sorts.

However! Windows is actually catching the reboots, and BlueScreenView says:

Code:        0x00000116   

Caused By Driver: dxgkrnl.sys  

The error seems to indicate something related to graphics! Yet the 116 code is a bucket where all sorts of hardware failures may end.

Will try with a different PSU.

0 Likes
kabes
Journeyman III

Same issue here, but with a 3700X.

xyznumber1
Adept I

mine fixed long time ago by replacing cpu, just let you guys know try a new cpu if you have done everything else (or try new cpu first if you have spare one)

Tried new PSU and still crashes, specially on moments where the computer is idle. Have went back to bios defaults to make sure, because this new PSU has all the 8+4 pin connectors offered on the mother for the processor, but no improvements.

I have been resisting this, but I think that indeed will have to start the RMA process.

0 Likes

Small update, tried disabling DOCP, worked for a day, then another reboot.

0 Likes

just get a new cpu without oc it

0 Likes

I will. Already contacted RMA. Tried to exhaust all options because losing the computer is a mess for work.

I never oc though. This is all happening on stock setup, with latest bios update of the ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI).

Thanks for the moral support

0 Likes
cptn_sol
Journeyman III

update for my side:

To end with the research I've bought a chip AM4 processor - Ryzen 3 3200G and the problem disappeared.

So I'm preparing to send my Ryzen 9 3900x to AMD warranty center.

PS: does anybody have experience of sending CPU back to AMD? ) Will they refund me the sending from the other side of the world... 

0 Likes

I ended up returning my 3900X for RMA; it was a straightforward, smooth process. I got a prepaid shipping label to send the unit from Canada to the US. It just took a few days, no issues at all.

Dealing with Asus was an entirely different matter however... I also sent in my mobo (Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi), but had to argue my case since I had received wrong RMA instructions - telling me explicitly NOT to include the AM4 brackets, and then informing me once they had received the motherboard, that warranty had been voided because I had not included said brackets... which led to an exasperatingly surreal and unnecessary back and forth, and eventually they conceded it ‘might’ have been their mistake. This took weeks! Luckily I had an older system I could use in the meantime.

Long story short: my system is now working as it should (knock on wood), after replacing a faulty PSU, RMA of motherboard and processor. The RMA process with AMD was a pleasure compared with Asus.

0 Likes
novack
Adept I

My story ending: it was an electrical issue on the wall electrical plug.

Seems like this rig has some electrical sensibility, which was causing "random" reboots, however changing plug solved the issue completely. Had the computer working flawlessly for several days now (at 24hrs turns), so I halted the RMA process.

I had already changed PSU and power cord, to no avail. To make things harder to debug, the previous rig was working without issues on that plug. So changing to a different plug works great, but just in case, will add an UPS unit.

Hope this helps someone!

Tnx! Based on your experience I've bought APC network filter to exclude possible electrical issues. Did not help. =(

0 Likes

I am running a ASUS Hero VIII WiFI X570 Motherboard with two 16Gig GSkill 3600 RAM sticks, M2 Rocket Drive 2TB, Kraken Water cooler, Corsair RM1000x power supply, 2070 Super video card. Never overclocked or ran anything but stock set up to maintain lowest temp and best performance life time. Gamed on it then put in sleep mode and came down in morning it was locked up with yellow light (No RAM) along with Error code 07 (Micro Code error) so did ASUS trouble shooting. Checked RAM on other systems so not the problem. Replaced video card with smaller one so not the problem, returned mother board X570 with replacement newer motherboard X570 and now it still with not post or boot. Only component left is CPU 3900X has to be the problem.  From reading reports this Processer has huge issues!

0 Likes
ghd796
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issue ID changes sometimes. mostly event ID 18 and APIC ID 3 . I have done exhaustive hardware testing with every tool I can find and every component seems to checkout fine with no errors. I've tested

-CPU - with OCCT - no errors

-Video Card - with OCCT, checked gpu-z, video memory tool. all no errors

- RAM - with memtest86  and memtest86+ - no errors

- both ssd and sata hard drives with WD console diagnostics

- updated all firmware, bios, and drivers.

Pulled ram blew out sockets and reseated ram in a different order - no change

pulled processor Ryzen 3900xt and cooler and blew out socket cleaned everything and reapplied new arctic silver and liquid cooler. ran OCCT test at 100% on all cores for 1 hour. the temp never exceeded 50 degrees. no errors. didn't stop the WHea-logger issue. 

Ran sfc and dism no errors found

At this point I'm thinking it's either driver conflict or software issue is causing it. I can usually (not always) cause the issue by playing something on netflix in google chrome on one screen and playing Microsoft solitaire  on the other screen. after a while it will just blink out

0 Likes