cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

west
Adept II

New Processor Ryzen 5 3600 High Temperature/Low Voltage

EDIT: Please also check my post at the bottom, about low cpu core voltage - it's constantly fluctuating between 0.2 - 0.9 (refer to my Ryzen Master screenshot)

Hello,

Today I installed my new Ryzen 5 3600 with Palit GeForce GTX1650 KalmX ( bought brand new last week) and Noxtua NH-U9S cooler (received it today, brand new)

I have a little problem with the new cooler - 6 of the radiator fins on one of the sides, at the bottom are a little bit bend ( I will be contacting the store I bought the cooler from). The current temperature of the cpu fluctuates between 43-63 degrees celsius and more often between 51-63 degrees.

Just to mention that I updated to the latest BIOS, as well as I reinstalled windows 10. I also installed all drivers.

My questions are:

1. Is that high temperature, due to some of the cooler fins being bend? - anything else to check for the high temperature?

2. Is it a problem with some of the cooler fins being bend and can I / should I fix that myself?

3. Any tips on how to monitor if everything is installed and running well?

My other components are (all bought brand new last year):

MSI B450 Tomahawk

Seasonic S12II-520 520W Bronze

SanDisk Ultra 3D 2.5 500GB

Western Digital Caviar Blue 3.5 1TB

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2D3000C16

I will be really grateful for any help.

18 Replies

63*C isn't that bad for that processor with an air cooler under load, because the Turbo function uses higher voltage and clock speeds as long as the temperature is under a certain value. Also, the max temperature is 95*C, so you're well within the margin of safety.

The thing is, as I mentioned, I have just reinstalled the computer.

I had just two or three browser tabs opened and core temp. I haven't played any games, neither I have used or opened anything, other than a few browser tabs and core temp. just so I can post my results here.

And even at the time of writing this only things opened are this page and my gmail. as well as core temp and the tmeperatures still fluctuate between 43-55 degrees celsius and 43-60 degrees.

I haven't really installed anything else.

0 Likes

Thing about an internet browser is that it is surprisingly CPU intense, which is why it slaughters battery life. If you look at Task Manager when you open a new tab to pretty much any given page, such as a news site or search engine site, especially if it has images, it will put a several percentage load on your CPU. As AMD Ryzen 3000 series CPUs can clock down very low and drop their voltages very low, and due to the Turbo algorithms which will spike the temperature up in a couple of seconds and then slowly drop back down.

Unless you are seeing sustained voltages of 1.45v-1.5v under idle conditions in Ryzen Master, there is nothing to worry about.

west
Adept II

These temperatures scared me, after looking at other forums and threads and seeing that 50-60 degrees celsius (or even 70 degrees) is normal, but only when loading heavy applications and games.

Also, my older cpu ryzen 3 2200 never went over 33-37 degrees while doing the same tasks and now with this cpu the temperatures are 20+ degrees higher.

I haven't overcloked anything as of now. Any other tips to monitor and check  things?

Some screenshots:

CPU-Z MSI.png

Ryzen 5 3600 CPU-Z.png

0 Likes

Just make sure your BIOS is up to date and you're getting your measurements from Ryzen Master. Just wanted to add by 3700X for comparison. Even on a much more powerful cooler, the Corsair H115i, idle temps range from 35-50*C depending upon ambient temperature, simply because Ryzen 3000 series CPUs can switch power states in a millisecond, and every little background task will spike one core faster than it can be displayed.

Hm, seems like it kind of defeats the purpose of buying the aftermarket cooler for the cpu or at least buying something for a relatively cheaper price. Or just keep the stock one.

Yes, everything is up to date, including the BIOS.

Still trying to learn new things, so I can properly manage my computer. Though I am not someone who is good with these stuff

Thank you for your help black_zion. It is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes

That's not true. Aftermarket coolers allow for higher clocks and quieter operation. Can't do all core 4300mhz clocks on a stock.

Hm, alright. I guess I will have to find more information on how Ryzen 3000 cpus work and more specifically Ryzen 5 3600. Thanks Black_Zion.

0 Likes

So i noted this very thing.  The craziest part is the amd ryzen plan.  Literally rose the temp instantly by 10c.  Now i understand that the "power saver" actually limits performance but just a note that it does indeed drop temps by 10c.   My idle went from about 46c to 36 to 38 c.   Just a little tid bit. 

Thanks

0 Likes
west
Adept II

Just adding a Ryzen Master screenshot - seems like temps from Ryzen Master are very different from the temperatures that Core Temp shows - Core Temp shows between 43-63 C and they stay mostly around 55-58C.

In any ways, I am currently having an issue with the core voltage  - you can refer to the Ryzen Master screenshot below or my CPU-Z screenshots above. My core voltages generally fluctuate beteen 0.23 Volts to 0.9 Volts and rarely hit 1.0-1.1 Volts. AMD Support said that this low voltage is not normal and that I should set the voltage to AUTO in BIOS.

I am not running any heavy programs though (just the browser) and I haven't checked the voltage during game play etc - I am not sure if that generally matters for voltage.

Ryzen Master.png

0 Likes

The peak core voltage does appear low but it's a dynamic number depending on load and is probably something the motherboard manufactures have set for low load values.

Your average core voltage seems about right for 3 cores sleeping.

Could we see a screen shot of the voltages under load.

Here's mine to compare.

pastedImage_1.png

and when I am running cinebench R20

pastedImage_2.png

You don't have your XMP profile for the memory enabled in bios btw.

Hello!

Yes, I know I haven't set up XMP. I decided to leave it for last and deal with the temperature and the voltage of the cpu.

So, I guess what AMD support told me about the voltage not being normal and that I should set it to auto in BIOS is not correct?

Could you please link me to an article where I can read more about dyamic core voltage?

Here is a screenshot, when using CinebenchR20 (about 15 degrees higher than yours; I see you have 3600x, but still):

Cinebench2.png

And a screenshot of the Cinebench results:

Cinebench Score.png

0 Likes

Your voltage is almost certainly already on auto in bios since it ramps it up under load.

Your all core boost speeds are good.

Your cinebench R20 score is excellent.

Your 65W CPU is drawing 83W of power which might count for some of the heat.

Although it is running hot it's well below the thermal throttling limit.

You could try adjusting the fan curve to take into account that the motherboard lets the CPU draw more power than the default TDP. The power draw is within the safe specs for the CPU to draw.

Thank you for your help Fyrel!

Anything else I should check on why the cpu draws more than it's default power?

0 Likes

The ryzen chips are designed keep trying to boost and draw the power required for that while it is operating within the thermal limits. Which unfortunately makes the AMD TDP values kind of useless.

In fact it seems to be just a made up number according to this video.

YouTube 

I watched the video. It does answer some things, but I will try to find other videos or articles about that. Thanks again Fyrel.

0 Likes
bypolar
Journeyman III

Also get the latest chipset drivers from AMD and then check you power options in windows,try the Ryzen plans Balanced or the microsoft power saver plan and see if either one makes a difference.

I already did those. Every latest driver is installed, as well as latest BIOS. It's on Ryzen Balance plan. No difference.

Atm I am also trying to figure out why the cpu has low voltage.

0 Likes