cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

healbunny
Adept I

New ComboPI1.0.0.4b NOT FIXING the boost problem of my 3900x.

I got the 3900x on July 15 and already been a lot of bios updates (MSI X570 Creation). I tried all the bios, even the new beta bios with 1.0.0.4b (7C36v161) is not fixing the boost problem. The voltage control still horrible. My 3900x just won't go over 4.399Ghz. 

Beside enable ram XMP, no other changes in default bios. The cooling system is Deepcool Gamerstorm Castle 360 RGB V2 AIO. Windows fully updated, all drivers fully updated. I using Ryzen Master to change and monitor.

My 3900x with PBO only able to get 509 points max in Cinebench 20 single-core test, the highest single-core clock recorded in Ryzen Master was 4.394 GHz, clock rate normally stays around between 4.300 and 4.350, and voltage around 1.49v (what a joke). In the multi-core C20 test, all core boost was 4.09GHz with PBO 7035 points), 4.05Ghz without PBO (6992 points). The voltage for the multi-core test was between 1.380v-1.395v. 

Compare to older bios with older AGESA, voltage still so high, single-core clock rate still not reach marketing spec 4.6Ghz (not even close). The clock rate may be improved 25mhz to 50mhz in the default setting. The only thing massive improved is faster boot time! 

The joke is my 3900x able to do perfectly stable with manually set all core to 4.3Ghz at 1.331v, in the C20 multi-core test achieved max 7560 points (low 7490 points), and single-core 512 points. Also, with 1.33v, my 3900x run much cooler at around 70-71C under maximum load (compare to the default setting at 76C). This setting I'm using since the first week. The awful default voltage control still awful after 4 months. 

I'm very disappointed to AMD said they fixed the boost problem, however, 3900x at 4.3GHz still much much faster than my 5 years old intel 5960x. Maybe this is not software or AGESA problems for my 3900x? The best of my 3900x can do is 4.35GHz with 1.375v, but 4.4GHz no hope even with 1.49375v.  (under load will black screen and restart).

14 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Please use CPU-Z and post the actual AGESA installed on your system.  Using a hex editor, it looks like "AGESA!V9.Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4" to me.  MB Vendors have released BIOSs apparently not containing the proper AGESA.  I suspect you need to lean on MSI.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

CPU-Z.png

I don't know, I tried all the bios for my motherboard, from 1.0.0.3a, 1.0.0.3ab, 1.0.0.3abba to current 1.0.0.4 patch B (SMU v46.54). my 3900x just not touch 4.4GHz single-core boost. 

0 Likes

healbunny, are you seeing a significant improvement in boot time?  If not, you need to ask MSI what version of BIOS you really have.  I suspect it is not the correct one.  Your RM screenshot shows Manual OC and the clock set to 4300 MHz.  I would expect your clock not to exceed 4300MHz.  Please do a Clear CMOS.  Good luck, John.

0 Likes

Yes, I noticed a significantly improved boot time. RM screenshot is my daily manual set up because the manual 1.33v 4.3GHz is much better than the default awful voltage and lower clock rate. 

0 Likes

I suggest the OP get the proper released BIOS and do not use beta ones.

Next, do not get greedy. If the CPU will not overclock that far, rather than abuse it further, accept reality. Not everyone wins the silicon lottery.

Video card matters more than CPU for gaming.

0 Likes

I did try the released non-beta BIOS with 1.0.0.4. The current one is the second 1.0.0.4 BIOS that MSI released for my motherboard. 

Next, my point is my 3900x just can not pass 4.4GHz single-core no matter which BIOS under the default setting, PBO enabled, or manually OC. AMD should not advertise 4.6Ghz maximum single-core boost if it is not reachable at all! even single-core 4.4GHz is not reachable for my 3900x. 

I understand the silicon lottery, I do not want to open RM every time when entering the windows to apply the manual setting. I want to use the default setting, but who likes the default high voltage, higher temperature, louder fan, with lower performance.

0 Likes

I suggest that MSI et al will be releasing more BIOS updates as the situation is far from ideal.

Generally with new platforms it can take quite some time for memory tables to mature in addition to tuning processor tables.

One of the big changes in the BIOS is that X570 uses a 32MB chip while older platforms are stuck with a smaller 16MB chip. That was one of the several reasons to get the MSI X570-A PRO. The advantage of PCIe 4.0 will take more time to leverage.

0 Likes

healbunny, have you leaned on MSI?  I believe the problem is there, not at AMD.  AMD's partners have done a very poor job of getting AGESAs properly distributed!  I also do not see a new RM screenshot showing default settings.  You will never reach Max Boost with the frequency set to 4300MHz.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
yankostav
Journeyman III

healbunny‌ wondering if you ever found a solution? I'm facing the same problem with my 3900X; never boost over 4.385 Ghz, high voltages (1.48V and above), in CPU-Z voltages never dropped under 1.0V even on AMD Balanced Plan, using a X470 MSI motherboard and latest BIOS - AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4 Patch B (SMU v46.54).

0 Likes

I see this all the time and the answer is simple. Set the voltage to default and don't overclock it because it will limit itself on that clock speed if you do. Enable PBO and XFR and leave most things default (except ram), it will have a single core clock speed of 4.6 easy and do all the overclocking automatically. Getting 4.6 on all cores is simply impossible or unstable unless you use liquid nitrogen or something. I have found it way easier to get 4.6 Ghz than Intel's 5.0 Ghz which gets REALLY HOT and requires a 360 mm radiator at least due to it's massive TDP. These have two dies under IHS so showing 1.5v is not uncommon, something with mechanics of having idle cores drawing low amps and 7nm chips.

Try the stock cooler too, some people have had issues with AIO's because the hot spot are in the corners unlike traditional CPU's. Single core 4.6 is easy, multi core with 4.4+ starts having issues. It's fun to try and have the best benchmarks I get it but 3900x is really best set it and forget it in my experience. Try a .05-.1v negative offset if temperature is throttling too because some motherboards tend to over-volt but I only needed this for full multi-core loads because 4.6 single is easily achievable.

Think about it, do you really need 4.6 Ghz on 12 cores? I am getting 4.6 single core and 4.2-4.3 on all cores easy when stress testing without any overclocking on a x470 drawing 150 watts, that is crazy. I find voltage and thermal to be the main things to look for best optimizations. 

0 Likes

sorry for late reply.

no, i did not find any solutions. With everything up to date, and everything set to default, I saw the best record of my processor went to 4.5ghz for 1 core for maybe less than 1 second. usually the clock speed at default are 4.15 all core, and ~4.3ghz single core. (360mm water cooled and thermal grizzly kryonaut)

The best way for my processor is to lock all core to 4.3ghz at 1.33v for much less heat and much faster single core and multi core performance compare to the AMD horrible default voltage and clock speed. 

Its all about winning the lottery or not...lol 

0 Likes

How are the temperatures and how are you testing it? Best to use spread application instead of pea method for these chips but doesn't sound like thermal to me if it's single core.

Maybe it was binning but mine stays 4.5-4.6 Ghz single/dual core constantly for web browsing. Have you tried default voltage? It can be efficient with high volts and low amps, and higher frequencies usually need higher voltage. I'd try 1usmus Power Plan, I have heard good things about it over Ryzen Balanced. Can be your motherboard like others said too, that is really strange single core is low when all core is decent. The motherboard is what sends power and decides how much. 

Trust me Intel is much more of a headache I just recently switched from an i9 and it's half the heat and watts drawn, not to mention less cores and more expensive. Boost was short and periodic too but my 3900x keeps going as long as thermals are good. I'm getting 7250 on Cinebench average @68C with .1v negative offset, no OC besides DOCP/PBO and it is cheap 3200 CL16 ram. 

I'd follow tips from this thread, it has been useful for me on understanding how 3900x works too https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/ 

0 Likes

For those using Ryzen 3000 series processors I found they work way better on the X570 motherboard as opposed to the earlier chipsets.

0 Likes
haaaaank
Journeyman III

I am also reading a lot of people had issues getting 4.6 ghz after updating to Agesa 1.0.0.4 and rolling back resolved it.

I am on 1.0.0.3 but had a BIOS update that had 1.0.0.4 and performance dropped slightly so I didn't stay on it long. It seems a lot of motherboard companies release BIOS updates that have bad implementation of 1.0.0.4. I would try rolling back to a BIOS thats on 1.0.0.3

0 Likes