Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

FluffyST
Journeyman III

New build - Ryzen 7 5800x

Hello!

I recently went over to AMD Ryzen 7 5800x with the new gaming rig, but as i completed the build i've encountered alot of BSOD's since windows install wich all was the " WHEA  " error.. ( very frustrating on such a expensive cpu/rig.

The rig itself is Gigabyte B550 Gaming x v2 - hyper x 2x8gb 3600mhz sticks and 3070ti alongside a WD m.2 1tb disc.

My solution for this the first 12 houers after the build completion was to download ryzen master and set the Core speed down to 4.600mhz and 1.30v in manual mode, after this was done i have been playing games left and right with redonculous performances and no bsods what so ever. ( left 3 games up over night just to check if it booted, it did not! ( which is great )

But i feel like am missing out on the core performance and are literally afraid to touch anything else.

I have installed all the drivers thru AMD it self and not gigabyte ( chipsets etc )

I updated to newest BIOS and everything else, i don't even run XMP profiles on the ram. Only the mhz and static 1.3v. ( cpu thru ryzen master )

Am i tackling this at the wrong angle? what else can i do ? is it even bad for my cpu to sit statically at 1.3v idle? at this point am just afraid to mess it up since it is a brand new rig, PSU even, gold plated corsair 850w.

Any help or answers are VERY appreciated.

PS: Memtested the ram with no errors aswell

Regards a worrisome customer.

0 Likes
15 Replies

update latest release bios for stability....

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/B550-Gaming-X-V2-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

set all default and try again.....

0 Likes

wow, i literally updated yesterday to F12, that was QUICK. i wil check it out asap! Ama reset everything and try and see if it helps!

i wil let you know

0 Likes

Sadly, the same BSOD came up after F13 install, 2 minutes in..

Any suggestions is appreciated......

0 Likes

are you telling me you whea error on default?

try https://github.com/sp00n/corecycler

run stability for any error.... what cooling?

0 Likes

Yes?, With the clock at 4.6 and volt locked to 1.3, i have no issues what so ever, but once it let it go free with the default settings, i instantly go into BSOD, i've stress tested this setting for a whole day, using aida and furmark without issues.

Do i set it on default, it takes literally less than 1 minute into games before i BSOD, with these ( 4.6ghz / 1.3V static volt ) I have no issues.

ps :The cooling is decent, default settings during stresstest, it lies at 78c at full load. air cooled by coolermaster.

0 Likes

You can try to load bios defaults and set PBO curve optimizer +10, +20 all cores. If processor is stable then you can RMA this processor as it would mean that it has broken boosting/is not capable to boost at stock settings (question is only if this issue is caused by motherboard or not).

0 Likes

Trek, i wil try your solution. Altho, what exactly does this setting change do? just to give me some perspective? New to AMD. as this is the first i've done by them.

But why would a chip be unstable during default boost settings and be stable with a static voltage and slighlty less clock?

i have not tried XMP profiles on the stable 4.6ghz 1.3v setting tho. Also filed RMA and see what my vendor sais.. what is the odds of a failed chip.. there is SO many reports on this cpu with this error.. mind boggling tbh.

0 Likes

It is simple, PBO curve is similar to graphics card curve. AMD boost for processor is similar to graphics card boost, it is the reason many people are confused here with temperatures, because they have not shifted to the new reality.

If you increase curve offset for all cores to +10, it adds voltage 50mV for given frequency. If it stabilizes your CPU (you can try +10, +20, +30) it means your CPU degraded and is broken and cannot boost at stock values. I suppose it crashes in the highest frequencies, so your manual overclock bypasses this situation.

Addon:

You can set also "global" CPU vcore offset in bios, you coud set vcore offset to 0.05V, 0.1V in this global offset and test stability.

As you can see crashing can be caused by motherboards if it sets incorrect voltages. So it could be fixed by bios update. However you cannot keep defective CPU so RMA is appropriate. If second sample is also defective in the same way, replace motherboard.

0 Likes

whea 18 is weird... i never have it... and i am using rx580

saw this whea 18 here with 3070

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/mid6b6/event_18_whealogger_crash_help_amd_ryzen_7_5800x/

maybe it is gpu causing the crash else use

one stick one ram (to make sure it is not the ram fault)

set gpu to pcie 3 (gen 3) (make sure it is not the pcie 4 causing problem)

just try if you have the time and trying to find the error... some report rma it help... sad to see cpu is rma today... never happen in my old school computing.........

0 Likes

@cyberlonerAlready tried 1 stick of ram, intense benchmarks, memtest64 etc...

Why would it be GPU? the gpu is performing well, stress tested it aswell as intensive 165hz gameplay on my stable 1.3v 4.7ghz clock..

it always happen when cpu is fluctuating Voltages everywhere with dynamic settings.. at this point i might just leave it at 1.3v statically forever and it is sad to see this kind of CPU being this erratic. Never had issues with my rigs previously as those were intel and not AMD.

Am stil open for suggestions until my RMA request gets thru.

I've read alot of WHEA issues on these cpus already and there are soooo many things to consider at this point, there was mentioned a bug with PBO being on auto and not enabled in bios which caused the issue aswell, but go figure, the system IS stable as far as i know with 1.3v statically put thru ryzen master.

0 Likes

my fx8350 rock solid than ryzen 5000 as well... new tech is crap now.... expensive and whea error a lot

0 Likes

@FluffyST 

If you want, compare my basic bios settings  to yours.

In Tweaker.

Cpu clock - Auto./ Spread spectrum - disabled./ Cpu ratio mode - all cores./ Cpu ratio - auto (yours 38).

Advanced CPU settings.

Core perf. boost - Auto./ SVM mode - disabled./ AMD cool & quiet - disabled.

I think they are the main ones, most of my others are stock, except ram on xmp.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

@goodplay 

Thanks for input, i did try your settings aswell, instead of bsod it just shut of, temps were at 60c at medium loads. Lasted longer before anything happened with F13 bios and these simple changes.

Event logger :

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 10

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Should i try XMP since i've seen ppl with bus /interconnect errors talk alot about 3600mhz sticks?

Anything else i could try ? hmm

0 Likes

Update :

Tried default again, with xmp 3600. Stil crashed with whea 18.

Booted into XMP 3600 with my personal stable clock 1.30v 4.7ghz(boost) clock with ryzen master, stable as a rock. Ram works perfectly so far aswell.

Went to Gigabyte's webpage to look for any updates, looks like they pulled the F13 from the list so that one is a gonner.

Maybe they pull out a better one as a replacement, Stil have RMA on the 5800x but i'd like to see it all become stable once and forall. ( staying optimistic ) since the computer is dead stable, it is boosting nicely up to 4.7 in all of my heavy tasks with 1.3v static

0 Likes