cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

New Build: Ryzen 7 3800x/ MSi X570 board/ GTX 1070 ti/ 16GB ram/ 700 W powersupply

Hey everyone.

TLDR: The debug LED is on and I don't know why. Checked the pins and power requirements and nothing was amiss. socket and MB look fine, so IDK whats up.

The long version

So after my potato that I built 5 years ago finally bit the dust I decided it was time to do a ryzen build. Below are the specs.

MB: MSI Gaming Edge Wifi X570 chipset

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x

RAM: 16 GB DDR4

Video Card: Nvidia 1070 Ti

Memory: 512 gb Samsung 970 SSD

PSU: 700 W

The problem: 

I had several parts delivered over a multiday period (i.e. the MB and CPU arrived before the SSD). So I got started and did a fitup build outside of the case with just the MB, CPU, Ram, and PSU. I was able to get everything together just fine and I went to power everything up and fans/lights powered up but I got no Post Beep, which was disconcerting.

The next day I got everything inside the case and went to hookup the Video card to the PSU and... whoops I did't have the right cable. So I tried booting up with the card in but not hooked up to the PSU and had my monitor connected to the MB HDMI output so I could at least do some work in the BIOS; again things "powered up" like the fans spun up and the LED lit up but this time I got no video feed.

Fast-forward another day and now I finally have all the pieces to the build. I've got everything in there, the proper cable for the video card, the ssd, memory, everything. And I got a similar result, powered up fans started running, lights lit up, but no jazz on the the video feed. I did notice four things however:

1. The EZ Debug LED on the MB for the CPU came on when it hadn't been on before
  2. The CPU fans weren't really "on" the were just kind of pulsing, so maybe it needs more power.
  3. I could turn on the computer using the power button, but could not turn the computer off without turning off the power supply itself.
  4. The power cable I had for the CPU was a standard 6 pin one, but there was another 4 pin header on the MB. Apparently it is for overclocking, which made sense. But do I need it to simply boot things up?
0 Likes
2 Replies

The 3800x doesnt have an integrated GPU on it, your gonna have to plug that monitor to your GPU if you want to see any display output. and no, it wont beep since the board doesnt have a built in speaker and even if you attach it, it rarely does when somethings wrong so its usually better to check for debug Codes/Leds.

Also your PSU EPS connector is either an 8pin or an 8+4 pin and the x570 Gaming Edge Wifi uses 8+4 not 6, the 6pin (or 8+6pin on a single cable) is for the GPU (Dont Plug this in to Your Mother board).

The 8 Pins isnt for Overclocking, they just put it there just incase Future Ryzen3k Models like the 3950x and beyond which may use more power than the 3900x, So you can just Plug in the EPS 8pin and leave that 4 pin unplugged without problems since your Ryzen 3800x wont ever use more power than what that 8pin EPS connector Alone can already deliver. 

As for what those Debug Leds mean, check your manual on what they mean or go to MSI forums, there's a Post there dedicated to Debug Codes/Leds.

I Would reccomend doing a ClearCmos if you still cant get it to Post after checking everyhting out.

0 Likes

Oh whoops, I had a typo about the CPU power cable, It is indeed 8 pin, and that's what I've been using. I do have a little speaker attached directly to the MB so it's not like there's no way for it to beep, but your right, If something is up it is unlikely that it will beep. 

In the MB manual all it gives for the CPU debug led is that it means the 'CPU is not detected or fail'.

Good catch on the Integrated GPU (or lack thereof). I guess I'll try a ClearCmos after seeing what the MSI forums suggest.

0 Likes