cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kjdf17
Adept I

New Build and Ryzen 7 3700X seems to be dead...

New Build and Ryzen 7 3700X seems to be dead...

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Using supplied fan (for now)

Asus TUF GAMING X570-Plus (Wifi) - Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 - 3200  16GB (2x8) -  CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W
Asus AMD Radeon RX 5700 OC 8GB - DUAL - RX5700-O8G-EVO
Corsair Force MP600 PCIe 4 - 500GB - CSSD-F500GBMP600

Deepcool DQ750ST - 750W 80-Gold Power Supply

Issue - After everything is properly installed nothing is displayed on the monitor and the Asus MB LED is a solid YELLOW which is the DRAM LED.

Trouble shooting steps taken:
Reseated memory - Used one chip - Used different (GSkill at comp store) - Removed CMOS battery for 10 minutes, Called Asus, they said board was defective and get a new one, which I did and everything is the same after all that work
I then tested everything individually.  Using my son's PC, I successfully tested the memory and video card.  I took his AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and installed it in my new PC and everything worked.  While it was working, I also did a MB BIOS update.  I put the new 3700X in his PC and I get the same yellow LED on the MB (also Asus - B450-F).

So, do I simply have a defective brand new AMD 3700X or is there something I can do?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Solution
kjdf17
Adept I

Received new replacement from PC store and everything works as it’s suppose to once installed.  Rare defective CPU unfortunately.  Thanks all for your comments!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

It's rare but it has happened that a CPU dud surfaces new in a box

0 Likes
qbtheslayer
Challenger

Agreed, very rare...  when you put the 3700X into your son's PC, was the BIOS updated to support it?  If that B450 board was in fact updated and capable of supporting the Zen 2 CPU then I must say you have taken all the steps to narrow this down.  I almost never agree when people say "the CPU is bad", this might be one rare case where that needs to be said 

QB

0 Likes

contact AMD and request an RMA

they can be reached from the home page

0 Likes

Good point and yes, I knew about that before making the test and it was at the latest bios update.  

0 Likes

Since you mentioned that the AMD Processor is brand new you FIRST must go through your Retailer's Warranty BEFORE AMD Warranty becomes effective.

If your Retailer doesn't replace the Processor than see if AMD will replace the processor and tell them why the Retailer wouldn't replace it from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form 

0 Likes
kjdf17
Adept I

Thanks all!  I am returning to the store and hope they don’t give me a hard time.  

0 Likes
kjdf17
Adept I

Received new replacement from PC store and everything works as it’s suppose to once installed.  Rare defective CPU unfortunately.  Thanks all for your comments!