cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

firedrops
Adept I

New build 2200G Gigabyte B450i will not post

Specific behaviours: RGB ram lights up. Mouse laser at the bottom glows red. RGB Keyboard lights up for 1 split second then turns off. Pressing caps lock num lock etc does not turn on the led indicators above the numpad.

Specs:

CPU: R3-2200G

Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus B450i Pro Wifi

Ram: T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz

Case + PSU: In Win Chopin with included 150W PSU

Storage: WD Green 240 GB m.2 (no sata devices)

Monitor is old with VGA only, so I got a hdmi-vga adapter that's been tested with my laptop to work properly. Not sure if it requires drivers that can only be downloaded in OS?

Attempted: reseating ram, 1 ram stick at a time, different ram slots, cleared CMOS, checked cables.

Anyone know what might be wrong here? This mobo has no diagnostic LEDs

0 Likes
1 Solution
arcticwind
Forerunner

Do you have a motherboard speaker connected to the motherboard?  If not, get one and connect it.

Unplug monitor, keyboard, mouse,... So, the only things connected to the motherboard are the CPU, RAM and the power supply.

Are both cables connected to the power supply? (24pin and 8pin)

Turn on the power supply.

You should get one "post" beep on the speaker.

If you do not get one beep or you get multiple beeps then you know there is a problem with one of the four components.

What does BIOS beep sound mean? | FAQ - GIGABYTE Global 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner

Do you have a motherboard speaker connected to the motherboard?  If not, get one and connect it.

Unplug monitor, keyboard, mouse,... So, the only things connected to the motherboard are the CPU, RAM and the power supply.

Are both cables connected to the power supply? (24pin and 8pin)

Turn on the power supply.

You should get one "post" beep on the speaker.

If you do not get one beep or you get multiple beeps then you know there is a problem with one of the four components.

What does BIOS beep sound mean? | FAQ - GIGABYTE Global 

firedrops
Adept I

Brought it down to the local IT mall for further troubleshooting, found that one of the RAM sticks doesn't work. TS guy recommended installing windows and updating bios and drivers, and cleaning the RAM contacts with an eraser. Seller has been contacted and is prepared for an exchange. Will update as things go.

0 Likes
7thsanctum
Adept I

Hey firedrops. It's gonna be a pain to diagnose without any diagnostic LED. Do you have a module that you can connect so it displays the output? The alternative is if you have an old motherboard speaker you can get beep codes.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Sorry firedrops, need more information.  Please get a speaker/beeper for your MB.  Newegg has them for a buck or two.  You have done all the right things.  I have never heard of anyone using a power supply so small.  Could you borrow a 500 Watt one to test?  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
firedrops
Adept I

Thanks for all the support, everyone!

Turns out it was just 1 bad RAM stick after all. Everything ran fine and Windows is set up with 1 good RAM, and the seller replaced the kit and everything works flawlessly. XMP enabled and all.

0 Likes