cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

andykarta
Adept I

Expected temperatures for a 5900X

On my old 2700x I was at 32 to 45 degrees after I overclocked my ram to 2166 (lol).  Now with this 5900x I'm running 45 to 55ish though it starts super hot at 67 plus ish.  I have an msi x470 carbon with a noctua redux.  I did get a second fan for the redux but it doesn't seem to do anything.  Probably a push pull thing and not for today unless it's pertinent.  I'm not going to overclock this beast so I shouldn't have to get AIO, right. 

I'm gonna have to get AIO, aren't I.    I don't game very much but I do use Unreal Engine so I have an abnormal fear of throttling. 

Does anyone with this config have temps to share.  Am I worried over nothing? 

Oh and I have a corsair 600q case which may be somewhat pertinent because it's an inverted layout and there's some debate over the best fan placement for that thing. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

I agree with @GreatnessRD  suggestion.

According to Noctua TDP Chart the Redux has a TDP rating of 129 Watts.

Screenshot 2022-05-26 113352.png

Your 5900X Processor's TDP is 105 Watts.  So your CPU Cooler should be adequate enough for normal computer use but most likely under very heavy loads the processor's temperature might be in the high 80c and possibly up to or past 90c.

The processor's maximum operating temperature is 90c so you will need a powerful CPU Cooler to keep it below 90c.

With the CPU Cooler you have under heavy loads or Stress and it doesn't reach 90c then you are okay using that cooler. Putting a second fan does help plus adds more air circulation inside your PC case.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

You don't need an AIO, but I'd say the redux isn't the best for that CPU. I'd tell you look into the Noctua NH-D15, NH-D15s, Bequiet Dark Rock 4, or Dark Rock 4 Pro. All of these have six heat pipes. Whatever you decide to get (Even if not any of these coolers), Good luck with your choice.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

I agree with @GreatnessRD  suggestion.

According to Noctua TDP Chart the Redux has a TDP rating of 129 Watts.

Screenshot 2022-05-26 113352.png

Your 5900X Processor's TDP is 105 Watts.  So your CPU Cooler should be adequate enough for normal computer use but most likely under very heavy loads the processor's temperature might be in the high 80c and possibly up to or past 90c.

The processor's maximum operating temperature is 90c so you will need a powerful CPU Cooler to keep it below 90c.

With the CPU Cooler you have under heavy loads or Stress and it doesn't reach 90c then you are okay using that cooler. Putting a second fan does help plus adds more air circulation inside your PC case.

Hey,
there's nothing wrong with air coolers, they aren't behind the AIO's at all.

But your case is very air tight, its a quiet model from corsair with sound dampening panels, they are normally less airflow friendly.
Also, the inverted design will make you rethink how you design the airflow.

Check if your the case and memory is compatible with the top of the line Noctua Tower Cooler or you may have to go AIO.

Or change the case.... maybe....?

Good Luck!

The Englishman

In case your fine replies needed closure, now the core low idle temp is 35 degrees.  No idea why but  I wish all my problems solved themselves like this.  Stress test and unreal got it up to mid eighties.  I can live with that.  Go little redux, right!

Or change the case.... maybe....?

Anantech says my case has astonishing cooling properties.  And some people swear by it.  But others don't.  And logically, looking at the inch wide vents on the side of the front and no top vents, not to mention the insulation, I'd agree with you.  It's got other problems too like the doors suck to close and the cable management side is too shallow.  But it looks like an obelisk in 2001, matches my mancave and I hate RGB.   I'll go with a 200 dollar cooling solution before I even considered changing my beautiful, stupid, confusing case. 

0 Likes
SgtStarSlayer
Journeyman III

i have the Msi x570 mag. tomahawk, with 64gb corsair 3200mhz platnium ram. and corsair h150i platinum 360 aio rad. When running at 100% load it peaks at 71 Celsius: meanhile the pump is pushing at full speed of 2800 rpms and fans are running at 1200-1350 rpms. idles between 35-45 celsius on idle depending if i am surfing the web and youtube. keepin mind, my rig is on full load days at a time when i am away at work or not barely using it on my downtime.