Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cmplord
Adept I

New 5800x running 70C idle....need help

All,

I have just bought a 5800x and an Asus ROG Strix 570F motherboard.  I am running a Corsair h115i cooling solution over the chip.  When I booted I noticed the Bios was showing the chip was between 40-50C....I thought this strange and double checked that I had screwed the copper plate/pump onto the chip correctly - I had.  There was solid contact and the screws were locked on tight.  When booting in to windows I idle at 70C which is absolutely ridiculous - interestingly when im gaming I barely increase temperatures past this.  The only time I have seen it go to 90C+ was when I ran a CPU-Z stress test. 

Concerned that my pump was failing, I took it all out, tested it on my old i7-5820 and I was getting Idle 30c temps.  I even went to the trouble of ordering a new one off Amazon and testing that one as well just incase there was something stupid going on, and now with the new Corsair h115 on the chip, its still showing the same results.  No crashes, just 70C all the time which I find insane......... I have updated my BIOS to the latest version along with chipsets etc.  Does anyone else have experiences like this?  Do I have a dud chip somehow?  

I have built several gaming systems in the past but this is the first time I have gone with AMD in over 15 years..... I am kinda regretting it at the moment   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Seeing much better temps now - disabled ROG Live which for some reason makes the **bleep** CPU run at 70 all the time.... and then using the curve optimizer I am set to negative 20 on all cores and idling at 35-40 in Windows, 50-60 in games with peaks to 70.  Hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies

Guess the first thing to look for is what Apps. are set to run on startup.

And of course all previous Apps. have been uninstalled, then reinstalled ?

And asus software Apps. not installed ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Seeing much better temps now - disabled ROG Live which for some reason makes the **bleep** CPU run at 70 all the time.... and then using the curve optimizer I am set to negative 20 on all cores and idling at 35-40 in Windows, 50-60 in games with peaks to 70.  Hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue!

0 Likes