First I'll list my build

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis PH-ES614P_BK

Motherboard: x470 Gigabyte Gaming 5

CPU: Ryzen 2700x

Memory: Patriot 3000mhz 8gb memory kit

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W 80+ Gold

HDD: Western Digital Black 2tb

M.2 NVME SSD: Samsung 970 EVO

Now into the issues: I put everything together and it all worked pretty decently at first except the motherboard never was able to detect the NVME SSD. No matter what. I have that taken out and back in the box, Waiting on a second one so I can see if it's the slot or the drive that's working wrong. But other than that, everything was running smoothly until windows updated to it's 1803 feature update. Benchmarks, stress testing, everything passing with flying colors, insanely quick video rendering speeds, I was very very happy. As soon as the computer restarted after the update everything went NUTS. First I couldn't access the internet on anything but Microsoft edge and other inner microsoft specific system processes, most of my third party apps and programs stopped working if they had any connectivity to the internet. I managed to sort of solve this by turning off location  services and the various data reporting options, but I still could only use Edge or IE to browse the internet. On top of that, anytime the system would need to display a notification either for facebook, or windows letting me know it had updates, or greenshot saving screenshots and letting me know it saved successfully, or anything else like that the system would freeze for minutes at a time. Eventually, after about an hour or 2, it would freeze up so hard I'd have to manually reset.  It would also hang randomly for shorter increments of time than it would when a notification would pop up. I have my hardware all running stock, bios updated, not even planning on overclocking let alone doing anything that would affect stability there. Speaking with microsoft support they insist the issue must be with the 2700x or my motherboard, one guy even suggesting that my hard drive is too slow for the rest of my system and the reason I'm getting 30 second freezes every minute or 2 is because of that. Is that even a thing? I know the difference between lag and things not working...

I've installed Windows 10 3 different times now and I'm positive it's an issue related to updates, and I've taken steps to prevent updates from functioning this time around, and everything is still fine. This is a seriously big problem for me because I have hardware that does not want to work 100% right until I update Windows 10 (an Elgato Stream Deck, if anyone's wondering, It work, but like, only half it's normal functions, keys don't want to do more than one thing at a time, very weird.) I was wondering if anyone had any similar issues or ideas. If it's not the updates screwing me over another thing it might be is the Motherboard, which I did get used, and as I said before I couldn't get the M.2 slots on it to function at all, as well as some weird behavior in the UEFI like not being able to change setting that I know I can change on one time and then being able to change them the next time I reboot... But mostly, i'm just confused and running out of ideas. I'm going to be asking this in a few places, not just here, hopefully someone will have some ideas. .

0 Likes
7 Replies

I would update the Motherboard's BIOS if it isn't the latest plus update the AMD CHIPSET from Gigabyte Support: X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Chipset

hipset

AMD Chipset Driver
(Note) Win10 ver.1709 \ver.1803 supported.

[18.10.20]

719.58 MB

2018/06/20

Asia on China America, within Europe

AMD Chipset Driver (include chipset \ USB driver)

[17.40.3602]

368.45 MB

2018/04/13

0 Likes

Here is the latest BIOS for your motherboard from Gigabyte Support. Same link as previous comment:

BIOS(+3)

0 Likes

Seems like your Samsung 970 EVO is listed in your Motherboard's QVL List:

0 Likes

You can't stop Windows 10 from regular Updates but you can use a Microsoft Hide Update app to prevent whatever Update is causing the problem until a new update fixes it.

I attached the MS HIDE APP to this post in case you want to try it out.

Personally, in my opinion, since you got the Motherboard used, it could be defective since it is not recognizing the ME.2 hardware installed.

NOTE: What you said about Windows Update being important is true. AMD latest drivers works correctly ONLY when all Windows Updates are installed. Some of the "Recommended" or "Optional" Updates AMD Driver use. If the Update is missing, The driver may not install correctly or not work the way it should.

thetornquads
Journeyman III

Bios is already updated, and I've tried the chipset drivers too, first thing I always do is make sure I can get every possible driver and update I can. Since I made my post earlier I found out that switching my wifi setting to metered mode makes it so that updates won't work unless I tell it to directly, and I've also disabled it in services.msc. Right before that I allowed it to download a few early updates (1507) and it's been running like a dream so far. I'm manually loading updates from the update catalog Currently and I'm up to 1709 and everything is still fine. I might just try to stay at this older patch for a couple months until some more fixes come out but I don't consider that an optimum strategy.

And I'm certainly wondering about the Mobo. I mean a used one, heavily discounted like 2 months after it got released? I had a funny feeling about it from the start. Could just be that something in it reacts with the 1803 updates in a really bad way. I'm kinda wondering about sticking that M.2 drive into my laptop and seeing if putting windows on it there would make it easier to detect when I move it back over to my new build here... But man, I really don't wanna tear that thing apart, there's a hundred screws  lol =(

0 Likes

I just noticed the program you included, I'm gonna hide 1803 and see if I can let windows do everything else. Hopefully this works out.

0 Likes
thetornquads
Journeyman III

A friend of mine had a USB stick with a windows insider build of redstone 5 that seems to work just fine on my PC. So I'm pretty certain this is just an issue with the April update, since the October update has all the same functionality and more and it's fine.

Sure is strange behavior though.

0 Likes