cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dotdotbot
Newcomer

New 2700x benching low

I just built a new computer with a 2700x, using the included Wraith Prism cooler, which seems to be benchmarking lower than it should.  CBr15 multi-core is scoring 1700, and single-core at 171.  During said multi-core benchmarking,  A screen snippet of HWiNFO stats during these runs is attached.  In short,

All-core boost: ~3.85 ghz (advertised at 4.0 ghz???)

Core voltage: ~1.244v

Core temp: ~68c

Package wattage: ~100W

Any idea what might be going on?

0 Likes
8 Replies

It's pretty much in the margin of error, AMD only says a 3% IPC improvement over the Ryzen 1000 series, so you're hitting what you should, mine hits around your numbers, of course I set my P0 state to 4ghz, no turbo involved. Don't worry about it.

0 Likes

But isn't the 2700x advertised as being 4.0ghz at all-core, not 3.85ghz?  I notice that your single core CB score is 162, whereas mine is 175, yet we have the same all-core score.  Quite honestly, had I known the 2700x was not actually the claimed 4ghz all-core, I would've just gone with the Intel 8700k. 

0 Likes

It's just a meaningless number, don't worry about it, and subject to change upwards of 10% per run.

I actually have quite consistent benchmark results, with the absolute maximum variation being about 1.2% between runs and the median variation being below 0.5%.  I've not had anything remotely close to 10% variation between runs.  I don't think 4.0ghz is a meaningless number because I seem to be well below thermal and voltage limits, and yet a full system bench acts like it's in eco mode or something.

0 Likes

"But isn't the 2700x advertised as being 4.0ghz at all-core, not 3.85ghz?"

The  R7 2700x is advertised has having a base clock of  3.7GHz and a max boost clock of 4.3GHz on the official AMD product page. With XFR2 and Precision Boost Overdrive enabled (default on most motherboards) you can reach  even higher all core and single core clocks. Both all core and single core boost is going to be dependent upon your CPU (silicon lottery), motherboards VRMs, BIOS/UEFI settings and overall cooling and current capability of your PC configuration. 

You did not list your configuration so it is hard to say, but with better cooling you might get higher all core clocks without making any other changes. It could be your motherboard or PSU ability to provide the voltage needed to sustain the higher clocks. It could be a combination of all three also, poor silicon, motherboard and PSU. If you are using a X470 motherboard there might be some BIOS/UEFI settings you could change to get better performance (PBO levels in AMD CBS options).

0 Likes

But this slide from AMD's marketing https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_2700X/images/arch7.jpg clearly shows an all-core frequency of 4.0 ghz.   4.0ghz is also the listed all-core frequency on Wikichips. 

Regarding thermal throttling, as the screenshots show, my CPU is only hitting 1.244v on all-core at a temperature of 68c (after multiple back-to-back benches).  Isn't the safe thermal limit for Ryzen in the mid 80s, and isn't even 1.3-1.35v a safe 24/7 voltage for Ryzen?

As for the PSU ability to provide the voltage, I imagine I would have to have gotten a terribly defective PSU for it to be unable to power my 2700x and 1080ti sc2, as I got the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850w.  As for the motherboard, I'm using the Asrock x470 Taichi, and I do not see any options to edit PBO levels in its BIOS.

Regarding poor silicon, I do think it is possible I've gotten a rather bad chip, as it seems utterly incapable of running my dual-channel Samsung B-Die RAM at 3200mhz.  The best it can post at is 3066mhz, and I am as of yet unsure if I might need to go even lower for stability.  Even running that RAM at 2133mhz, the package power draw on the 2700x hits 102w at 1.244v all-core, which is as far as I know very near the power limit of 105w.  There is no difference in the all-core frequency nor in the voltage between runs at 2133mhz on my RAM vs 3066mhz. 

That said, my 2700x is hitting about 4.275ghz in single core benches in Cinebench, but HWiNFO shows peaks at over 4.4ghz across general usage, so maybe it's not bad silicon? I have no idea. 

Full Spec List:

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C

Case Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM Chromax in the front on intake, 1x Noctua NF-S12A PWM Chromax in the back on exhaust

Motherboard: Asrock x470 Taichi

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x

RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 2x16gb 3200mhz C14, F4-3200C14D-32GVK

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC2

SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W

0 Likes

" TechPowerup clearly shows an all-core frequency of 4.0 ghz" As it is with most advertising it is important to read the small print. Disclaimer at the bottom states "Based on the OCCT application... Results may vary with application and system configuration"

"4.0ghz is also the listed all-core frequency on Wikichips." I have never heard of or used Wikichips, I am sure it provides good information but it is not official. Wikichips disclaimer states " While WikiChip uses reasonable efforts to include accurate and up-to-date information, WikiChip makes no warranties or representations of any kind concerning the accuracy or suitability of the information contained on this web site for any purpose....WikiChip makes no warranties or representations of any kind that the services provided by this Website will be uninterrupted or error-free."

" Isn't the safe thermal limit for Ryzen in the mid 80s, and isn't even 1.3-1.35v a safe 24/7 voltage for Ryzen?" I was not referring to thermal throttling but to the algorithm AMD uses for XFR2 and PBO 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors: XFR 2 and Precision Boost 2 - YouTube . As far as I know voltage up to 1.425v on the core is safe for daily use and 1.45v for AIO/custom water cooling for both generations of Ryzen.  I do not believe AMD has posted anywhere the official max voltage for either generations. My R5 2600x at stock settings goes up to 1.487v @4.3GHz for single core  and 1.35v@4GHz for all core.

Your PC configuration looks top notch (IMHO). On the R7 2700/2700x owners club on Overclockers.net there are several owners with the same motherboard/CPU and they might be able to provide more insight as to why you are not reaching the "average" all core boost.

Cinebench tips, running any program in the background will effect the score (especially HWinfo64 or any polling apps) Using the task manager to set the priority to high will increase the score by a substantial margin. Running Cinebench R15 multiple times (with short cool downs in between) will give higher scores.

0 Likes

My R5 2600x at stock settings goes up to 1.487v @4.3GHz for single core  and 1.35v@4GHz for all core.

Wow 1.35v T_T.  In a way I don't mind that my all-core is at 1.244v, because it remains below the passive heat dissipation threshold for my bedroom haha.  Thank for the tip about Overclockers.net, I'll check that place out as well. 

But um, ya I went way too overboard with the spending on this build T_T.  It's the first computer I've assembled myself, so I guess I got a little too window shopping happy or something.

0 Likes