cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

couchornament
Adept III
Adept III

New 1700X with water discolouration and heavy on glue.

So, part of my new build showed up today. RAM, Motherboard and heatsink are still en route...

When I looked at the CPU through the little window I noticed what looked like a water stain. Thinking it was just on the plastic I opened it up, nope... it's on the IHS itself. Also there seems to be quite a bit of glue holding the IHS on. I am curious if the glue is normal and that the water stain is just from manufacturing... or something else. Anyone seen this before?

Note: The fingerprints on the CPU in the picture are mine, I checked the pins as soon as I found that the discolouration was on the IHS. Aside from the discolouration it looked clean.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: New 1700X with water discolouration and heavy on glue.

Odd stain but it's not going to affect anything. That's also normal sealant around the IHS as well, perhaps a little liberal but it's fine.

couchornament
Adept III
Adept III

Re: New 1700X with water discolouration and heavy on glue.

That's a lot of sealant for the IHS... I've never seen it so liberally applied so I got a little worried, especially with the water mark. On closer inspection it also looks to have scuff marks on one side of the IHS, but I am probably over analysing it. Since I do not have the board to test it with yet my mind is going off in a few different directions. Speaking with others on Gaming Tribe and a few other sites it seems that their Ryzens have been quite heavy on the sealant as well. The water mark is a new one for them, though one gent has said his was discoloured in the corner.

Thanks for the reply, black_zion.

0 Kudos