Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

efeu
Adept II
Adept II

nested virtualization kvm

I'm sorry to ask this again, but you do not answer in my other thread or anywhere else...

Are you working on this issue?

Will this beeing fixed until end of year?

I'm so tiered of beeing ignored hard by support....

7 Replies
enormouschunks
Adept II
Adept II

Re: nested virtualization kvm

This "issue" you speak of is not actually new.

This has been an issue with KVM since well over 10 years. Certainly due to the high processor count of Ryzen, it has become and wanted feature and we are now seeing the effect of it.

KVM and Xen seem to be affected by this. The details are pointing towards NPT.

0 Kudos
efeu
Adept II
Adept II

Only KVM is affected, Xen is working fine with nested paging & iommu passthough. That's the reason why I think it should be a joke fixing the kvm_amd module for AMD, or at least give some advice where to look at, but well, they just remain silent....

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

Hyper-V in Windows 10 supports nested virtual machines, such as running Windows 7 as a guest, running say Virtual PC and XP mode. Lots of options.

0 Kudos
enormouschunks
Adept II
Adept II

I give you this link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/6iomlh/apparently_the_kvm_amdnpt1_performance_bug_is/

It has also been notated in the communities, updates have caused issue with passthrough. I point you to  here:

HOW-TO make dual-boot obsolete using XEN VGA passthrough - Linux Mint Forums

efeu
Adept II
Adept II

Neither Xen, nor ESX(i), nor Windows Hyper-V is an alternative for me, I just want to know if AMD will take care of the kvm AMD bug(s) till end of year.

It's an easy and simple question... but AMD is just sh**ing on their costumers.

0 Kudos
enormouschunks
Adept II
Adept II

I am not sure how more straight forward I can write this to you.

Its not gonna be fixed anytime soon because this is not a front end bug that has JUST appeared because of Ryzen. This is a bug that has been active for over 10+ years.

efeu
Adept II
Adept II

There have been created some bugzilla entries for this, but w/o much preasure, so I try to change this and get an official statement from AMD. The main reason why noone cared about this was the lack of performance in pre Zen architectures, so there were no reasonable group using passthrough on AMD processors. This has chnaged.

I just want to know about AMDs plans for this, I share your opinion that nothing will happen, but hope dies last and sorry but neither your opinion nor mine is even close to beeing an official statement