Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Need to alocate all (most ) of the processor power to one application

Hi everyone,

i have an AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHZ. And i use FL Studio which is a music software that runs on many plugins and uses each plugin as a seperate application. My issue is the program reaches an amount of plugins and starts frezzing and lagging that's why i upgraded to the FX 8350 and 20 GB RAM. The issue is the FL Studio Meter shows that it's using 100% of the cpu power and lags and freezes while if i open the task manager and check the Actual CPU power used i can see that FL Studio is only using about 40% of the cpu power. Please try to help as i spent alot of money on this upgrade just for music purposes and i'm still not getting the most of the computer.

Thanks for your time

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Need to alocate all (most ) of the processor power to one application

So the total CPU usage showed in task manager is only 40%? Then it's likely that the application (FL Studio) isn't programmed to fully utilize all cores. That's the case for most programs, as it's generally very difficult to program multi-threaded.

However, if there is another program using up CPU time, then you should just turn it off, to free up the CPU.

Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Make sure that you are not experiencing "core parking" if you are using Windows 7 / 8 which will seriously reduce CPU performance. Read the details on each Windows hotfix. The first one is the most important and can be removed. The second less important but not removable.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2645594

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2646060

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

i make sure i turn off pretty much all the other programs while using FL Studio. Maybe it's allocated for that but alot of people use it and it works fine with them which is weird. For core parking i'm using a program called unparkCPU. But didn't help much and i'm running on Windows 8 so i'm not sure if i should download the hotfix or no as it's saying it's only for windows 7. But when i open the task manager i can see that the 8 cores are running but just not much is used from them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

If the cores are being "parked" it's usually only half of the cores or less depending on the number of cores in the CPU. The parked cores show very low usage while the half that are working will show more like 70%-90% usage. Have you consulted with your mobo maker's tech support and the software maker? There might be a software issue or BIOS issue creating the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

invest in a tube of arctic mx-4 which will makes sure your CPU cooler works more efficiently

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Monitor the system with HWinfo and post the excel spreadsheet result here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Similar question and results > I Need Better Core Distribution on My FX 6200

0 Kudos