cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

p0lariss
Journeyman III

Need Help on New CPU Installation and Testing (Ryzen 5 5600)

Hello everyone, good day!

I want to ask regarding the testing and installation of a new CPU.

Details:

Currently I'm using B450 Tomahawk Max and just upgraded from Ryzen 5 2600 to Ryzen 5 5600. I'm using an Air Cooler (Deep Cool Gammaxx GTE V2). I've used a new thermal paste and booted the PC into Windows 10 and it seems to run just fine. But I'm concerned about the new CPU installation (if I did it correctly or if there are any errors on installation) and I'm also afraid if I over-tightened the screws on the air cooler. Are there any ways to know if the CPU and air cooler installation is correct and have no issue? What softwares or other tips I can use to check new CPU performance?

Thank you very much in advance!

0 Likes
5 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

p0ariss, if you did not install a fresh copy of Windows (what version?) including formatting the install disk (must be GPT), please do. All kinds of bad things can happen with a stale OS especially on a new processor. When Windows is running, install all AMD drivers from here. Stay out of BIOS! Install Ryzen Master (RM) from here. Please do not install any other applications at this time. In general I suggest users get nothing but BIOS from the MB vendor. Now, please post screenshots of RM both Basic and Advanced views running Cinebench R23. Please only images of RM. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Why stay out of BIOS? Usually it is the most reliable way to adjust anything, and in general, the only change people should do, is to enable XMP/DOCP/EXPO, enable secure boot (OS. windows) and virtualization.

I don't typivally install any software, which affects how computer works, except what comes with GPUs driver. 

In my case motherboard comes with readily optilized settings for different memory chips, which saved me a lot of work with 2x32Gb DR DDR5 5200 Micron sticks. Also by increasing fan speed at lower temp reduces temperature variation and temps, while lowering over all noise level.

While you can't just set whatever setting to whatever and have to first check, what is safe and what is not, from learning point of view understanding BIOS is important. If you only know Ryzen Master, you would not know what to do if you one day get something else than AMD...

Installing Windows again is a good idea after changing motherboard or CPU.

My basic tools are HWINFO64, Cinebench R23, 3DMark and maybe a couple of games with different engines. While Afterburner might not have received updates, HWINFO64s data has been reliable.

As it comes to installing coolers, springs are there to control pressure and screws are simply tightendnas far as they go without force.

Thanks, MADZyren, when I am trying to help with a problem, I ask the user to stay out of BIOS because of the confusion created. After we get to a solution anything goes. Obviously BIOS must be used to set items like XMP. Also, I believe there is a conflict between RM and BIOS changes and am trying to convince AMD to do something about it. I suspect this may the source of users suddenly seeing the clock get locked at 457 MHz. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

When troubleshooting, factory default settings or actually clearing CMOS is a good place to start and often recommended before flashing bios too.

I have very little experience with Ryzen master, as I am somehow sceptical with software comtrolling BIOS, which is how I understand it works. Could be my scepticism is unfounded though.

0 Likes

Best way to know if your Air CPU Cooler is properly installed is by monitoring your CPU temperatures.

If it isn't running hot at idle or overheating under load then most likely it is installed incorrectly.

The Air CPU Cooler you have, according to Amazon advertisement is rated at TDP 180 Watts which should be adequate enough to prevent your Ryzen 5600 rated at TDP 65 Watts from overheating under maximum loads or reaching its maximum operating temperature of 90c.

If your CPU is not overheating but want to see if your CPU Cooler is powerful enough to prevent overheating download and run OCCT CPU and PSU Tests and see if it passes without failing or your PC shutting down.

Since you upgraded to the Rzyen 5600 without issues in your current Windows 10 OS there is no need to do a clean Windows Installation.

NOTE: most of the time if you over tighten the CPU Cooler's screws it most likely will strip the screw hole.

You should turn the screws until it stops turning without applying more pressure once it stops turning. The CPU Cooler should be on tightly and evenly on the CPU surface.

0 Likes