cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ivan_83
Adept I

Re: Need BIOS and Kernel Developer’s Guide Family 17h

It is shame for AMD to not publish documents on CPU.

I take my money to AMD and got no support, even in this simple thing during almost 6 months.

You found howto for sensors read on mobo, it is not same.

For linux: echo $((0x`setpci -s 00:0.0 60.l=0x59800 && setpci -s 00:0.0 64.l`/2097152*5/4))

For FreeBSD use mine patch: ⚙ D9759 amdtemp driver update

x58
Adept II

I think is very important if AMD can create a guide to cover the most of their BIOS setting nowadays, among with Ryzen, because there are not info at all, while Intel seems to covered all 😕

And to be honest  AMD BIOS option sets to AUTO seems not to do well... you can clearly see by enabling or disabling or setting custom can really cause a major effect on PC performance, but to be honest not everyone knows about  AMD bios settings, they are very different from Intel, and is there is lack of information 😕 so please , don't ignore us

cyring
Adept I

Could someone test my driver with Family 17h ?

github.com/cyring/CoreFreq

GitHub - cyring/CoreFreq: CoreFreq is a CPU monitoring software designed for the 64-bits Processors.

For a few hours, I have had a chance to run it on EPYC and got correctly the TSC, APERF counters & PSTATES enumeration.

CyrIng

0 Kudos
gc9
Adept III

Update: AMD posted a shorter document with a few added performance counters to https://support.amd.com/en-us/search/tech-docs

• Open-Source Register Reference for AMD Family 17h Processors

Section 2 is on Performance Monitor Counters.

10 Additions (since Processor Programming Reference noted above) include:

Bad Status 2 [Store To Load Interlock]

Retired CFLUSH Instructions
Retired CPUID Instructions
SMIs Received
Store to Load Forward
Store Commit Cancels 2

Data Cache Refills from System

Software Prefetch Data Cache Fills

Hardware Prefetch Data Cache Fills
Table Walker Data Cache Fills

1 Subtraction

Pipeline Restart Due to Instruction Stream Probe

0 Kudos
skyzos
Adept I

Here we are almost two years later and AMD still apparently has not released the full info (at least I am told that is why the linux drivers STILL don't know how to get per-core readings). What is the reason for this secrecy? Is there some terrible exploit lurking in our sensors that AMD is nervous will be discovered? Why on Earth would they not make it as easy as possible for their product to be maximally useful to as many people as possible?