momo12320
Journeyman III

My Ryzen5 2600x reaches 90c and fails at stability tests

So I bought a new pc. These are the specs:

Ryzen 5 2600x 

Msi B450 Tomahawk

Team group Vulcan 3200mhz cl16 8x2 Gb ram

Rtx 2060 

The case is a cooler master cmp505 which comes with a PSU. ( The case has 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan)

When I first got the pc I had some trouble running the ram at its rated speed but after some tweaking I got it running at 3200mhz.

Note: I am using the stock cooler.

The cpu runs at 4.2 Ghz at stock settings and uses >1.42 volts. When I tried Aida64 the cpu reaches 90c after ~8 mins and the test stops. When I try OCCT the test stops after 2 mins when the cpu reaches 90c and says overheat. I opened the bios and disabled core boost and precision boost override and the cpu now runs at 3.6 ghz and 1.2 volts but passes all of the stability tests. I tried changing the voltage to 1.3 volts in the bios and manually ocing to 4.0 and 3.8 ghz but they both failed the stability tests after 2 mins when they reached 90c any idea what might be wrong? I suspect that this is a cooling issue. I even set the cooler fan to run at max speed to no avail.

Note: I tried tightening the cooler screws again and it runs like 2 degrees cooler ( from 45c to 43c) now I think but I'm not pretty sure.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Anything running at or below 1.45v is good. But even if it spikes to 1.5v or higher for a very brief time, According to AMD, this is normal and was designed that way. As long as the voltage doesn't constantly run at or above 1.45v. Fluctuations is normal and occurs to the amount of load on the CPU which is constantly changing. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8ea753/xfr2_at_work_during_rottr_bench/dxu1i1t/ 

This thread from an older previous Reddit Thread explains about the Wraith CPU Cooler under load: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/b6cer5/ryzen_2600x_stocksafe_voltage_with_xfr2pbo2/ 

The Wraith CPU Cooler should be able to maintain the temperature within its Operating Temperature. But if you notice that it starts running hot or near it Max Operating Temperature (95C) then you may consider upgrading the CPU Cooler or disable PBO if you are gaming a lot or when the CPU is under Max. or near max load. Wraith are not very good when it comes to Overclocking.

From AMD concerning PBO (which is considered to be Overclocking): https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2018/08/13/understanding-precision-boost-overdrive-i... .

I believe in some motherboards BIOS/UEFI, PBO is automatically "enabled" with certain 2nd Generation Ryzens.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
rockedout
Adept I

I have the similar issue but mine is 3600.  On MSI B450 pro carbon ac after bios update to support zen2, everything left to stock in bios, my CPU idles around 60 and goes as high as 95 degrees.  I am also using stock cooler.  Mine came with stealth cooler.  Mine also most of time hovered around 1.4v.  I tried manual voltage setting to 1.1v which keep the CPU to use it's base frequency which is 3.6 Ghz.  This kept the CPU around 40-45 idle and max 70-75 degrees on stress.  However, I've had 8BSOD, 5 freezes during game amd 4 no post which I had to clear CMOS to get it going again.  This is bugging the hell out of me.  Starting to think about returning everything.  This is my first ryzen build.  I went for it cause it comes with cooler and heard that AMD stock cooler are very capable.  I'm starting to doubt this.

Thank you for leaving a reply here. Most other people who had this issue appear to have solved it by getting new coolers but I don't think that that is a valid alternative here because I bought the 2600x because it has a better cooler so buying a new cooler beats its purpose 

0 Likes

The maximum Operating Temperature for the 2600x is 95C with a TDP of 95 Watts. AMD Wraith are good for normal computing but if you are using software that puts a very heavy or maximum load on the CPU you would need to upgrade the CPU Cooler.

Most Users install a liquid CPU Cooler for the Ryzen 2xxx CPUs. Here are AMD Recommended CPU Coolers for ThreadRippers which have a very high TDP Wattages of 180 & 250: Thermal Solutions for Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors | AMD 

0 Likes

Does that mean that my cpu should be able to withstand gaming with cpu boost on ? also is the voltage normal or is it too high with cpu boost on it fluctuates between 1.42 volts and 1.45 volts 

0 Likes

Anything running at or below 1.45v is good. But even if it spikes to 1.5v or higher for a very brief time, According to AMD, this is normal and was designed that way. As long as the voltage doesn't constantly run at or above 1.45v. Fluctuations is normal and occurs to the amount of load on the CPU which is constantly changing. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8ea753/xfr2_at_work_during_rottr_bench/dxu1i1t/ 

This thread from an older previous Reddit Thread explains about the Wraith CPU Cooler under load: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/b6cer5/ryzen_2600x_stocksafe_voltage_with_xfr2pbo2/ 

The Wraith CPU Cooler should be able to maintain the temperature within its Operating Temperature. But if you notice that it starts running hot or near it Max Operating Temperature (95C) then you may consider upgrading the CPU Cooler or disable PBO if you are gaming a lot or when the CPU is under Max. or near max load. Wraith are not very good when it comes to Overclocking.

From AMD concerning PBO (which is considered to be Overclocking): https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2018/08/13/understanding-precision-boost-overdrive-i... .

I believe in some motherboards BIOS/UEFI, PBO is automatically "enabled" with certain 2nd Generation Ryzens.

rockedout
Adept I

I have disabled PBO and manually set the vcore to 1.1v. This was the only way I could run the 3600 at 45-50 idle with 75 max on load.  This is with stock cooler with case open and 2x120mm fan.  no boost ofc.  However, random no post still persists.  I've been fiddling with this for 2 weeks.  As the deadline of full refund period approaches, I've decided to return both board and 3600.  I've given up. ditching everything.

0 Likes