Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

donrtowery
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

My new Ryzen 5 1600 machine is freezing randomly

Not real sure what can be done about this.  I researched all the parts before I purchased them.  On the AMD QVL, it shows my ram as being compatible, which is why i purchased it, but when I go to the ram manufacturer website, its not listed as being compatible.

My machine is freezing randomly.  sometimes it gives the "clock_watchdog_timeout" error, sometimes it doesnt.  I've reinstalled windows multiple times, used different hard drives, cpu temp never goes above 60 c even when under heavy load, its 40 - 45 c at idle.  I downloaded and installed the creators update for windows, which some people said has helped.  I've flashed the bios of the mainboard to the most recent version, updated the chipset and all other drivers.  I've run memtests and the memory is fine.  I think the only thing left is compatibility issue.

How could AMD list the memory as compatible but the memory vendor says no? 

Mainboard Gigabyte GA-AX370 K3

CPU Ryzen 5 1600

memory Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 V5.39

0 Kudos
4 Replies
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: My new Ryzen 5 1600 machine is freezing randomly

It's not a RAM issue, as I've seen reports of people using G.Skill Flare series RAM, which is specifically manufactured for Ryzen platforms, having the same issues, and then there's the fact that Windows 10 is the most unstable BSOD generating piece of garbage since Windows ME (can you tell I hate Windows 10, and that it's caused me more BSODs in a week than I ever had with 7 in all the years I used it?) It's not a RAM issue, as people that have these issues can Memtest86+ it for hours without issues, or Intel Burn Test or Prime95 their system for hours using every megabyte of RAM without issues, but it'll BSOD sitting on the desktop...

0x050, 0x3Bm 0x0A...

0 Kudos
lolobob
Adept I
Adept I

I'm a bit in the same boat.

Random freezes (once a day) at load or just cruising the web. I'm using B-die Samsung FlareX 3200Mhz and I thought buying the "expensive" ram would rule out problems. MemTest returned no error. Long story short: I downgraded my memory from 3200 to 2666Mhz and I've yet to have a freeze.

This points out to the fact that if you want to run your memory to advertised speed you'll need to tinker with the core / ram / soc voltage or stability will suffer.

This guy explains it very well:

We Got Inside AMD’s Texas Home - & Learned How To Overclock RAM on Ryzen - #DragonSquad - YouTube

stone_age
Adept III
Adept III

Try it without using the XMP profile. Just set it at auto and default. If the problem goes away you'll have your answer.

0 Kudos
anthonys
Adept I
Adept I

What week was it manufactured?  Are you overclocking? Successful overclocking is not guaranteed.

0 Kudos