wooderzon
Journeyman III

My games crash when using precision boost overdrive

Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600x

EVGA XC Ultra Rtx 2070 Super 

Gskill Trident z Neo 3600C16 RAM

Asus Tuf X570 Mobo, Bios version 1405

Pretty simple, when my cpu is boosting with PBO all my games crash. With it turned off and cpu at base 3.8Ghz I have no crashes what so ever. Temps are more than acceptable with PBO enabled and disabled, gpu temps good as well. I've had this problem since I built this pc and turning off PBO is the only solution to fixing game crashes. It's not my memory, and my kit is on the motherboard's QVL. Someone on another forum suggested that I probably got a bad chip, but I don't know, as I said I have no crashes with PBO turned off. Done plenty of windows reinstalls, and I'm on the latest bios version. Games with crashes: Division 2, Destiny 2, Sekiro, and Jedi Fallen Order.  Again, all are fine with it turned off, but I paid for this feature, and I'm sure there is a fix but I'm new to this stuff and can't seem to find other people with this same issue anywhere.

0 Likes
9 Replies
wooderzon
Journeyman III

No answers? hm, interesting. 

0 Likes

Stop using PBO? It's not a stock setting, and AMD never said it will be stable with your setup. 

Perhaps the dumbest thing I have ever read. If it were only "golden samples" or even 50% of samples, it would be a installable option to add, not a mandatory feature for EVERY AM5. All this comment actually supports is gas lighting buyers to believing its fine for AMD to make unstable and wildly variating quality of chips thanks to comments as dumb as this. 

0 Likes

Also I just want to add despite its upsides, this is the most unstable CPU ever made, and a year in on its "improvements" its arguably worse off than it was originally. There are literally dozens of serious issues that tens of thousands of people have experienced simultaneously. That is not "unlucky". That is bad product. Imagine if only golden samples of toothbrushes or power supplies worked, and everyone else says "don't use it" because theirs works.....lol

0 Likes

It is possible you just lost the silicon lottery. There is never a guarantee that PBO will work with any processor however it is pretty normal that it does. You may still have another issue. Even though your memory is on the QVL doesn't mean you can't have a bad chip that is acting up at higher speed. It could be too that the timings are not being set correctly. I would look into that possibility. 

0 Likes

But are you really overclocking per so with PBO? Does PBO actually increase any frequencies?

I was under the impression that PBO sets a foundation by increasing various thresholds needed so that the CPU may automatically reach and keep its advertised maximum speeds for longer periods of time. But it shouldn't push the CPU past its advertised max speed, unless the user manually overclocks.

What exactly would you think within PBO that would cause instability?

0 Likes

I don't disagree with anything you said. I think it is ridiculous that AMD and Intel both officially will not warranty a processor that you admit to using PBO or Intels XMP. By Federal law this is actually arguably Illegal by the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. However you would have to pursue litigation which would likely dwarf the price of replacement to get anything done. It surprises me that class-action suit in this arena has not happened yet. 

But until then they set their own rules, then advertise these as normal features and promote the use then hold it against you if you do. 

That being said you don't have to mention you ever did it and they have no way of knowing that you did. As usual in this world only the honest get punished. 

Now from their point of view is that even if you are not OC'ing the processor even using the the PBO to increase the memory speed to it's supported speed increases the infinity fabric speed for instance, they see that as a sort of overclock. Even though it supports up to 1900. 

I don't get it either. Gamers Nexus just did a video on this very topic with Intel processors this week.

In answer to your specific issue is that PBO is going to run your memory faster and that may be where you instability is. Not saying it is, you need to test that. It may run fine at the lower speed but not at its max speed. You could pull one stick at a time and see if it runs with stability with one versus the other.

If that makes no difference I would likely pursue a processor RMA just let your conscience be your guide as to whether you say you did or didn't use PBO. 

PBO can increase all core boosts.  Typically when boosting all cores, the chip will hit the PPT/TDC/EDC or Temp boundary before Fmax.  For single core boosting it typically does nothing as the chip is not bound by any other those other constraints and already at Fmax.

Turning on PBO raises the package power limit and current limits from those AMD specifies to the maximum the motherboard allows.  This can expose a flaw in the motherboard VRMs, power socket, CPU, or any number of other places in that chain. 

0 Likes

Go back to stock speeds, most processors and video cards are already close to as fast as they can go before shipping.

0 Likes