cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Johnths2
Adept I

My 5800x3d core 3 getting extreem hot

My new 5800x3d processor has one core that getting hot while all other cores have normal temps.
On idle core 3 go's to 60 dgr. while all other cores stay below 40 dgr.
On 100% load on all cores core 3 go's quickly to 90+ dgr, while the other cores stay around 40 dgr.

My motherboard has the latest Bios and Drivers.
The Bios settings are standard, no tweaking ore overclocking and there are no preffered core settings
I have a very good Noctua CPU cooler and a PC case is very cool.
The processor cooler is placed with 5 dots thermal paste.

I never had this problem before in my life and i have build lots of computer configurations.

My question, is this a known problem with the 5800x3d?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Johnths2
Adept I

I did a Cinebench test.

Cinebench.jpgAMD 5800x3d core 3.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

It might be there is nothing you can do if, but it could also be something as simple as reseating CPU cooler and making sure there is enough thermal paste.

Some overclockers use sandpaper to even the surface of CPU cooler if it is warped. The more daring ones do the same to IHS, but considering there will be metallic dust everywhere, do the latter at your own risk. First thing to do is check your CPU heatsink is tightened properly from all corners.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies

First the Maximum Operating Temperature of your Processor is 90c. when it reaches or surpass 90c the CPU starts to slow down or throttle automatically.

So by your post your CPU is overheating.

Open a AMD Service Request - Warranty and see if they believe you CPU needs to RMAed to be checked from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

It is usual that only one core overheats and all the others are generally cool at 100% load.  Generally all cores should have almost identical temperatures at 100% load in my opinion.

What program do you use to monitor your processor's temperatures?

0 Likes
Johnths2
Adept I

I did a Cinebench test.

Cinebench.jpgAMD 5800x3d core 3.jpg

0 Likes

Your CPU is still reaching Maximum Temperature according to Open Hardware - CPU PACKAGE at 90.1c.

Plus your 3rd core is still reaching or passing 90c while all the rest of the cores are relatively cool. I don't believe that is normal unless it was a single core test and not a Multi-core test.

Found this Reddit thread about the 5000 series CPU and has this chart about CPU coolers:

Screenshot 2022-11-03 080841.png

Your CPU Cooler seems to be doing it job for all the other cores except Core 3.

The CPU Cooler cools the entire CPU not individual cores. But if your fine with having one core run hotter than the rest all the time and your computer otherwise runs fine then that is all that matters.

I wonder if a problem with thermal material between IHS and chiplet might cause this. Thing is, if temps are within what AMD says is normal, would AMD or whoever sold CPU accept RMA? So I'm not sure if much can be done (could ask though) except make sure cooler is properly installed.

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

It might be there is nothing you can do if, but it could also be something as simple as reseating CPU cooler and making sure there is enough thermal paste.

Some overclockers use sandpaper to even the surface of CPU cooler if it is warped. The more daring ones do the same to IHS, but considering there will be metallic dust everywhere, do the latter at your own risk. First thing to do is check your CPU heatsink is tightened properly from all corners.

0 Likes
qbtheslayer
Challenger

Firstly...  that temp is NOT core 3....  that is one of your motherboard temps (Probably CPU socket or CPU package)

If you want to see individual core temps use a better software like HWiNFO64

Screenshot_1.jpg

90 is a little high, but not alarming.  Make sure you have good airflow and as said above, make sure your cooler is sufficient and seated properly.

QB

0 Likes

From Open Hardware Monitor concerning CPU Core Temps:

The Open Hardware Monitor supports most hardware monitoring chips found on todays mainboards. The CPU temperature can be monitored by reading the core temperature sensors of Intel and AMD processors.

So the OP's CPU Core 3 Temp is running very hot compared to his other CPU cores. HWINFO64 will probably get the same results since it is reading the same CPU Core Sensor from the Motherboard's Monitoring chip.

0 Likes

Are you for real?  His screenshot doesn't even show CPU core temps...  Temp 3 is not a core temp...  and since when does a 5800X have 6 cores (if you are thinking those temps are core temps).  Package temp is hitting 90, and that is what temp 3 is.

QB

AndyA1000
Journeyman III

I'm here because I did a search for my "5800X3D #5 core running hot" (@ 62C /4350 MHz steady) while the rest at 31c~32C, 3600 +-X MHz. However, it only lasted for may 5 minutes from when I first noticed it shortly after logging on. I did just DL and install a new Windows Malicious Software update about 2 minutes before I noticed the #5 core rise so that or something else was probably running in the background. All is well now. Did yours resolve too?  I'm using Windows 10.

0 Likes