cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

alpere
Elite

my 2600x overheating very very quickly with stock cooler

***Thread will update itself until root cause of problem and the solution is found.***

Update 1: Just find out mobo and cpu reporting different temperatures. This may cause my cpu to never throattle in certain temperatures. Cpu is still trying to run at 3950Mhz  at 95C on bios default settings in which everything is set to auto or amd recommended. Cpu rarely reaches 55C when core performance boost(XFR2)  is disabled. 

Update 2: About international warranty, amd claims boxed unit has international warranty however Turkey distrubitors says the otherwise. 

Update 3: changing stock cooler with after market cooler ( Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo ) has solved my overheating issue. System never reached 75C degree under full load with all core working at 4.2 GHZ)

Hello i just joined amd community with ryzen 2600x.

However i have over heating problem with stock cooler.

It reaches 85C under a minute with any stress test. It continues to rises up over 95 few minutes later.

I'm using stock cooler and pretty sure it is tightned and properly installed.

troubleshooting so far: + Changed thermal paster with mx-4 

+ I also openned front, upper and left panels

Could my cpu be defective?

Edit: Official amd response was try the unit in different computer to see if it gets this hot. If yes raise a warranty. I'm gonna update this thread when i tried in different computer and share the result for people who might have same issue in the future.

0 Likes
1 Solution
alpere
Elite

Hello, i just want to update the situation. I have finally changed my stock cooler with arctic evo 34 duo.

Now with the same stress tests, temps never reach 75 Celcius with all core operating with 4.2 ghz. 

I'll mark this answer as a solution. Stock amd cooler for 2600x definitely weak for heavy loads when cbs is on and changing it with after market cooler has solved the overheating issue.

View solution in original post

52 Replies

Go through AMD WARRANTY REQUEST and they will probably sent you a new one under Warranty. If you bought the Ryzen from a Retailer and it came in a box, AMD has a three year Warranty on it.

You can fill it from here: AMD Warranty Request Form | AMD 

Note: From what I know AMD Warranty is worldwide.

0 Likes

Official amd response was try the cpu in known good system and to the same test and if it behaves same like the result i got, go for the warranty. I'm gonna mark this thread as resolved for know, i'm gonna update first post when i done the test with different computer.

Thank you everyone for your time and support.

I do not think you need to pay for shipping when a product is broken and under warranty, I mean you pay for something to work not for it to be broken. The only thing you would need to do is to verify it is broken and than either contact newegg about it or amd. On amazon and such I have never payed shipping for broken stuff under warranty, neither with my main hardware supplier.

0 Likes

i have contacted newegg. They dont give any warranty service they asked to reach amd directly. If item is not eliglible for international warranty i'm probably done. Waiting response from official amd rma ticket right now. 

Edit: and yes there is no international warranty in this box item. newegg takes no responsibility. Sending item to amd will be very costly.

0 Likes
alpere
Elite

TL:DR: mobo and cpu reporting different temperatures and i think this effect XFR2 Algorithm and forcing cpu to never throttle in certain temperature limits.

I have removed previous correct answer since i have found some weird behaviour.

Firstly i have disabled core performance boost(disable XFR2), and cpu rarely passes 55-60C on stress test. Then i reverted everything back to bios default settings i have done the tests again but this time i have waited until cpu reaches 97 C. 

Weird thing is cpu is never or sligtly throttles!. Even at 95C they are (all-core) working on 3950 MHZ. Then i found out that motherboard has cputin sensor which is reporting 61-62 C while amd sensor reports 95C. Even in games cpu reaches massive 4450 MHZ momentarily which normally should be impossible at these temperatures (80C+). In this state cpu always pulls 130Watts in stress test (prime95 fft)

I highly suspected that, XFR2 using temperature reports from mb not cpu itself. I have never ever seen that cpu throattles hard like downing clocks to 2ghz etc in order to lower temperatures at very high temperatures like 97C.

I have done other experiments which i locked the cpu clock speeds to 4Ghz and vcore voltage to 1.250V. This time i get significantly lower temperatures on gaming but stress test still reaches 85C again but in 10 minutes not in 1. 

I have contacted local distrubutor and they will test the cpu and cooler. I will update the thread. 

0 Likes
alpere
Elite

Hello, i just want to update the situation. I have finally changed my stock cooler with arctic evo 34 duo.

Now with the same stress tests, temps never reach 75 Celcius with all core operating with 4.2 ghz. 

I'll mark this answer as a solution. Stock amd cooler for 2600x definitely weak for heavy loads when cbs is on and changing it with after market cooler has solved the overheating issue.

I removed the AMD thermal pad from my cooler and replaced it with MX-4 and my CPU hardly gets warm at all.

The OEM pad is excessive as the purpose is to not as a macroscopic fill but rather to fill microscopic defects on the CPU and meter cooler. Minimal amounts of MX-4 will slowly squeeze into every defect with thermal pumping.

A thick layer acts as an insulator defeating the purpose

0 Likes

i was also using mx-4 with stock cooler. It did not helped in my situation. 

0 Likes

did you use a 1/2 BB size dot?

0 Likes
coolingcpu
Journeyman III

You could apply endothermic material pad.

I have free samples for trial cooling applications.

0 Likes

Hello, i solved my issue by changing stock cooler with after market arctic freezer 34 duo.

0 Likes

alpere wrote:

Hello, i solved my issue by changing stock cooler with after market arctic freezer 34 duo.

That is overkill but at least you have your CPU temperatures managed better

0 Likes
coolingcpu
Journeyman III

Thanks for sharing 

0 Likes