I recently built an 5900X system and was wondering:
- How much thermal paste to apply
- How to physically apply it (rice-sized method, multiple dot method, pre-spread it out etc)
I linked a video below which concluded that #2 really didn't matter. I ended up doing what I have always done: the grain of rice-sized amount right in the middle of the die. This lead to respectable temps under a sustained load of 72C. Just wanted to share with the community. Attached pic is before I set the HSF.
- MB: MSI B550 Unify
- Cooling: Noctua DH-D15 (both fans running with this curve in the BIOS: 20% power @ 45C; 50% power @ 55C; 80% power @ 65C; 100% power @ 75C).
- Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2
- CPU: 5900X running with PBO2 enabled (-15 offset for all cores, no boost, no scaler). PPT=500; TDC=245; EDC=160
Link to video: https://youtu.be/DC4nUzWbT3s