cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Mouse clicks don't always register. Not sure what the issue could be caused by so I'm trying to ask everywhere.

Playing Games and Mouse Clicks Don't Always Register - Microsoft Community 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll just copy paste what I asked on microsoft's support website. 

I'm really not sure where to start looking. If anyone knows what questions to ask. I'd like to get down to the bottom of this annoyance and god knows that microsoft isn't helping me D'x

I'm hoping that by looking/asking around on different websites I'll maybe find something.

If you need me to post system/hardware info just let me know and I'll do my best.

I don't really know much at all about computers so anyone willing to guide me to where to find the needed information would be greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so, I've searched around and have not found any other posts that seem to relate exactly to my problem. 

When I play SOME games ( not all the games I play run into this issue) my mouse clicks don't always seem to register in game. It is a bit hard to describe but here goes nothing... It seems as if, when there is a lot of things going on in the game, my pc simply can't register that I'm clicking. Standing still (in game) the mouse works just fine but when enemies are getting close, bullets are flying, explosions are tearing holes in things or I turn the camera really fast... My clicks don't do anything. It's infuriating.

I've read somewhere, something, about "processes" and closing unnecessary processes/programs should lighten the "workload" of the computer to hopefully "pick up" on the clicking of the mouse.

I'm not sure how that works or even IF this is necessarily my issue.

One I know for certain, is that I don't know jack about what the root problem could possibly be.

I will try to update with PC specs once someone can tell me where to start looking...any assistance is greatly appreciated..

This problem I have has been apparent for at least a year; even before I updated Windows recently.

Just earlier I updated all drivers associated with the list given by Windows via the "Settings->Updates" or "Settings->Hardware and Devices"

Is it possible that my graphics card is having issues?? This doesn't seem connected to the problem...does it??

Is it the FPS of the games I'm playing? I usually set the games' to not have a maximum frame rate. Maybe I SHOULD have a max frame rate? I got the hardware that I have so I wouldn't need to worry about frame rates and I should be able to fackin go HAM on my graphics with my sick nasty CPU...right?

I've switched which USB Port my mouse is plugged into and the problem persists. I don't have another mouse to test the issue with but I don't think it would matter because the mouse works fine OUTSIDE of games and SOME games don't have the issue at all. So it seems the issue isn't with the hardware of the mouse or the USB port.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor  3.20 GHz

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB

Device ID: F047309B-A364-4A94-8CA3-1DBBA1CE1EB9

Product ID: 00326-00844-61634-AAOEM

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Windows specifications

--

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 2004

Installed on 10/3/2020

OS build: 19041.508

Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

--

Graphics Card (More Details):

GPU - Radeon RX 570 Series - Primary/Discrete

VRAM - 8192 MB - GDDR5 1750 MHz

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - Radeon RX 570 Series

Device ID - 67DF

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 5001

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1849

Revision ID - EF

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x16

BIOS Version - 015.050.002.001

BIOS Part Number - 113-TIC32850-001

BIOS Date - 2018/03/30 01:25

Usable Memory Size - 8192 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 1750 MHz

Core Clock - 1280 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 224 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 7.00 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

OpenGL® API Version - 4.6

OpenCL™ API Version - 2.0

5 Replies

Looking at what you provided you are using the standard Windows driver for the mouse. No idea what model mouse you have as you left out that most important detail about the issues you are having. My Logitech G2 mouse when using the native Windows driver is really temper-mental with the clicks unless using the latest Mouse driver from Logitech. 

So make sure you are using the latest driver you mouse maker offers and make sure that is a recent build. If not then you may wan't to try another mouse to alleviate the issue. 

I wouldn't think that the driver would be the issue considering that the mouse works fine with some games..

Apparently, the mouse I have must be a terrible mouse.. It's REDRAGON's S101-BA-1 "Combo" (came with keyboard, mouse pad and headset). After Installing the driver, since it comes with it's own program to set up macros and specify certain settings, I click the button that says "Update Driver" it simply doesn't do ANYTHING... I can assume that it simply doesn't require an UPDATE..?? and the driver(and its program) is fine as is.... but now I need to figure out if I need to "change what driver is being used for the mouse"...

A friend told me that there's got to be some setting for this, so I'll go look that up :l

Not feeling too confident though..

0 Likes

Issues can often track back to things we don't expect. Stuttering frames in games often link back to mouse drivers. Logic would not dictate that to be the case but nevertheless its fact.  Regardless trying something at least eliminates a variable if not fixing it and you try something else. I would try another mouse. Not sure why a mouse would work right in one game or another. I don't know what games but say for instance those are all unreal engine games etc. There could be some commonality to those games that makes it happen verse others. 

Alright, so updating the driver of the mouse so its now using the driver made by the mouse's manufacturer actually seems to have improved the problem... Mind blowing, really..

The problem still occurs but thankfully less often so its a plus. I unfortunately don't have another mouse that I can use to test :c

Don't know how long before I can get one but I'll update when I can

carryjohn232
Journeyman III

There are few steps that can help you to register your mouse clicks.

1. On Windows 10, head to Settings > Devices > Mouse.

2. Under “Select your primary button,” ensure the option is set to “Left.” On Windows 7, head to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse and ensure “Switch primary and secondary buttons” isn’t checked. On both Windows 10 and 7, head to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse.

3. Ensure the “Turn on Clicklock” option is unchecked here. It’s possible that a hardware driver issue could be causing issues with recognizing your mouse button’s clicks, too. To test the speed of mouse clicks visit at https://cpstest.pro/.

4. You can do so by right-clicking the Start button on Windows 10 and selecting “Device Manager. ”Expand the “Mice and other pointing devices” section, locate your mouse, right-click it, and select “Update Driver.” Click “Search automatically for updated driver software,” and Windows will attempt to find new drivers that match the mouse.

0 Likes