cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

artyem
Journeyman III

monthly ryzen 7 2700x temperature question but with yet another twist

I recently upgraded my PC from an i5-6500 to a Ryzen 7 2700x (evga clc 240 cooler), loving the performance and power this thing puts out.  That said, I noticed pretty early on that idle temperatures were flying around like mad.  Right after boot, 24c steady with small spikes, after a few hours at idle or light gaming 30 - 45c sawtooth temperatures.  r/AMDhelp on reddit helped me figure out that it's normal, but one thing is still making me scratch my head.

The idle temps climb and climb, eventually fluctuating in the sawtooth pattern from 40 to 50c, and do not reduce even with the CPU pump and fans on full blast.  However, restarting my PC or (oddly enough) changing the temperature check interval on Ryzen Master to 5 seconds from 1 makes the temps go back down to the original 24 - 35c that it normally idles at.  What's the cause for this?  Is this just xfr 2 at work?  Anything to be concerned about?  Under load temps barely exceed 60c, so I'm not concerned about thermal throttling, but why are the temps so dang weird at idle?

specs:

MSI x470 gaming pro

Ryzen 7 2700x

ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070

Corsair Vengeance 16gb @ 3000mhz

EVGA Supernova G2 750w

attached is a screenshot of the 'sawtooth' temperature chart I mentioned, that's taken from evga flow control software, but I generally use Ryzen Master for all temperature readings

0 Likes
1 Reply

That's normal, same thing happens on my 1800X.

0 Likes