Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

saturnus
Adept II

Micro stutter after hibernating computer

Jump to solution

Coming back into Windows 10 64 bit from hibernate results in micro stutter. Not very visible in office/browsing kind of use, but when playing multimedia, the audio stutter is clearly audible. Visual stutter is harder to find, but I am pretty sure that's happening too.

The 1700X runs at default speeds, but is undervolted. I have and want to, because of the (known) Vcore spikes with this model. Running stock, the Vcore might hit 1,52V. (This is a known problem, do not tell me to replace the CPU.) Vcore is about -0,15V from default. The SOC is running slightly above 0,95V. Both voltages are already increased a bit to see if the stutter phenomenon disappears. It does not, thus this topic.

AMD Ryzen 1700X

G.Skill Trident Z 3000MHz

Asus Prime B350-Plus

Samsung 960 Evo

Club3D Radeon R9 280

Seasonic S12II 520W

be quiet! Pure Rock

G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB

MadCatz R.A.T. 7

Temps are fine.

After rebooting, the stutter is gone.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
saturnus
Adept II

Re: Micro stutter after hibernating computer

Jump to solution

OKAY SOLVED

In the end....it was VLC PLAYER.
As soon as I use that software the symptoms start to happen and increase more and more. Call it ridiculous but it is true. I stopped using it for some weeks now and it goes well mostly. Still have to reboot every few days because the system starts to get slower in some things, but not even close to the annoying thing of before. Yet kinda sad considering with the AMD Phenom II I never had things like this. So what is VLC Player doing? I have no idea yet. Execute certain code or use certain codecs that bug the Ryzen???

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies
saturnus
Adept II

Jump to solution

Kick.

Bios upgrade from 0513 to 0902. Problem still present.

0 Likes
saturnus
Adept II

Jump to solution

It especially happens when playing a video in VLC. Windows default seems to not be affected by stutter. Does VLC user a specific Ryzen instruction/codec?

0 Likes
saturnus
Adept II

Jump to solution

Still having the problem. Audio stutter high in WMP.
Bios 1002 now.

0 Likes
saturnus
Adept II

Jump to solution

Disabled all overclocks. BIOS overclock section back to auto.
NO DIFFERENCE.

0 Likes
saturnus
Adept II

Jump to solution

At first updating the drivers seemed to have worked but it's all screwed again last few days.

Why is nobody from AMD responding. What is this for support?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hibernation on Windows 10 is not necessary. Windows 10 uses a hybrid hibernate/shut down so, combined with a UEFI BIOS, It takes less than 20 seconds from a power on to the login screen.

0 Likes
saturnus
Adept II

Jump to solution

Okay. But I use hibernate to keep my programs etc with content 'saved' to quickly resume.
The call for hibernate is done with a macro on my keyboard that executes a .bat with 'hibernate -h' in it.

When I want to start clean I shutdown via start menu.

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I cannot reproduce your issue on my test system.

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

Have you tried putting the system to sleep to see if the same issue occurs?

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

I had issues with hibernate with Windows 10, I just disable it along with hybrid and just use normal sleep. It has been flawless since. Zero issues and my system is back to running just like before sleeping in a few seconds. Many desktop systems have issues with the different types of sleep, especially DIY systems. Laptop makers can really fine tune their systems in ways that we end users can't. There have been a lot of issues regarding sleep and power on many systems in Windows 10, by them really treating every system like a notebook running off battery.

0 Likes