cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Memmory is shown as caching[only 16gb out of 32gb usuable] on am4 motherboard?

Jump to solution

As attached in pic shown,I have 32 gb ram but it is shown about 16gb usuable, and says its cached what does this mean, can I make all 32gb usuable. Strangly   I have another pc with same motherboard with 1700 ryzen and 4 times 8gb ddr 4 ram[windows 10]. Which shows all 32gb usable.

Pc spec

Ryzen 5 1600[processor]

ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS[motherboard]

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) [ram]

R9 390 8gb [gpu]

750gb ssd[os drive]

1tb sshd[data drive]

Windows 10 pro

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Re: Memmory is shown as caching[only 16gb out of 32gb usuable] on am4 motherboard?

Jump to solution

gigabytes is likely correct, the most likely things that are happening is (since it shows 32gb just it has 16gb as usable)

• If all the ASUS software was installed, there's likely a RAMdisk (my MSI board took 4gb of my 16, so 16 of 32 is possible). check start menu for RAMdisk software, if so, remove from settings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Memmory is shown as caching[only 16gb out of 32gb usuable] on am4 motherboard?

Jump to solution

That is normal for Windows. It takes memory that is not being used and creates a disk cache with it. If memory is required by an application the cache will release memory to it. You will see that number change based on what programs you are running.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I do not agree, this is not normal. His screen shows 13 GB cache and 2.8 GB in use. This means, the system is really limited to about 16 GB. You can also see on the left size, that it only sees 15.9 GB as usable. On my system those numbers sum up correctly to 32 GB and it also shows 32 GB on the left side. You could set such a limit with msconfig (Boot -> Advanced Options...), maybe some 'optimization' tool did so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

His Cache system is working perfectly fine, the issue is his system is reserving 16gb of memory for hardware. I suspect he is using a ram drive or some other application that is reserving memory at a hardware level. Perhaps Windows has and issue with malware. Are your sticks in the right slots? The manual is your friend.

He may be able to go into disk management and find a 16gb ram drive that is not formatted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Jump to solution

gigabytes is likely correct, the most likely things that are happening is (since it shows 32gb just it has 16gb as usable)

• If all the ASUS software was installed, there's likely a RAMdisk (my MSI board took 4gb of my 16, so 16 of 32 is possible). check start menu for RAMdisk software, if so, remove from settings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

not sure if slots bad or ram not seated proper.walking corpse answer helpful.i move ram to other slots on motherboard now 32gb available

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

Glad I could help, you're welcome.

0 Kudos