cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

BearSF
Journeyman III

Maximum supported RAM for new Ryzen 5 5500U laptop?

Laptop is an HP 15-ef2127wm.

AMD's information page on the Ryzen 5 5500U does not list the maximum amount of RAM supported, only the speed.

HP specifications page for this model do not list the maximum RAM supported.

Sites like Crucial do list the system, and show that 32 GB (2x 16GB) is the max, but 32 GB modules exist, so I am unsure if the maximum is correct, or if it was written by someone not aware of 32 GB modules.

I have tweeted and DM'ed AMDCare on Twitter with this, to no reply.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

The Maximum amount of RAM and the maximum amount of RAM per DIMM slot that can be installed is determined by the Motherboard. In this case the Laptop's motherboard.

You are correct about not showing the Maximum amount of RAM the Processor can support. I looked at 2 Processor Spec websites and both don't show that information. With older processors it does show.

So you would need to ask HP the amount of RAM the HP Laptop will support. Crucial is probably giving out accurate information since they sell compatible RAM modules for that laptop and would need to know the RAM specs of the Laptop motherboard.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies

The Maximum amount of RAM and the maximum amount of RAM per DIMM slot that can be installed is determined by the Motherboard. In this case the Laptop's motherboard.

You are correct about not showing the Maximum amount of RAM the Processor can support. I looked at 2 Processor Spec websites and both don't show that information. With older processors it does show.

So you would need to ask HP the amount of RAM the HP Laptop will support. Crucial is probably giving out accurate information since they sell compatible RAM modules for that laptop and would need to know the RAM specs of the Laptop motherboard.

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

The maximum would be 2 x 16gb if that's what Crucial website says!

It would mean 16gb per slot max.. Not 32gb..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.