cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

markusprokott
Journeyman III

Maximum memory frequency of Ryzen 7 2700 for 4x16GB single-rank modules?

What is the maximum memory frequency of Ryzen 7 2700 for 4x16GB single-rank modules? I found contradictory statements.

I wanted to put 4x16GB single-rank modules with 3200MHz in an ASRock X470 Taichi motherboard with a Ryzen 7 2700 CPU. There are plenty of tables in the internet that say with this configuration the maximum supported memory frequency is 2133MHz. And today I got my motherboard and found a supplementary note in the box stating the same. And the included manual agrees. But the note and the manual both point to the ASRock homepage to get the most current information. The ASRock homepage has tables for this motherboard, too, and they say 2933MHz. Only the page on the AMD homepage doesn't tell me anything about different RAM configurations and their possible memory frequency.

Does anyone now what frequency Ryzen 7 2700 actually supports for this memory configuration? 2133MHz or 2933MHz?

0 Likes
9 Replies

These are the 16gb RAM modules on your motherboard's QVL list, but is there a specific reason you want to use single rank RAM? You're not using a server, so there's no rank limit issue.

0 Likes

Yes, I have a reason: Thr Ryzen Series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge) support different max. memory speeds depending on the rankedness. As you can see here in the tables: ASRock | X470 Taichi | Specifications.

But other tables on the net, the manual of the mentioned mobo and a paper note in the box of the mobo say different things. And still do the papered documents point to the online specifications I just mentioned for to get the most current information.

I have no compatibility problem. I just need to know what max speed I have to take into account when searching for the right memory modules.

0 Likes

For servers yes, not for desktops, and all motherboards are different. You should be asking this question on the ASRock forums.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

markusprokott, I suspect there will be no specific maximum frequency.  It will depend on many things such as parts and how hard you are willing to run the sticks.  I personally am not aware of currently available single rank 16 GB sticks.  Please post some candidates you are aware of.  I have heard that this year, we will start to see 16 Gb chips, perhaps making single rank 16 GB sticks possible.  I really think you need to find an OCing forum and see if posters have some opinion to give.  Please see the end of this thread.  goldenblaster seems to have the attitude of damn the Voltage, full MHzs ahead - claims over 4GHz memory clock.  The poster is obviously a OCer and is really into brute force.  Probably will void your warranty, so you get to decide how hard to charge.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Candidate: Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 UDIMM | CT16G4DFD832A

I just want to know the reference max frequency, not how far I might be able to tune them. I don't want to overclock.

An important note: The product page of the mentioned RAM stick says it is dual-ranked. But it isn't. I wrote to Crucial and they confirmed: "I have checked and I can confirm that CT16G4DFD832A is single ranked module.".

0 Likes

markusprokott, for this information, you will need to go to the MB vendor you select and ask them.  Are there any with this memory on their QVL list?  I looked at the link you provided and find this whole story very hard to believe.  I will do some more research and see what I can find, but I hope a memory expert will come along and inform us.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
markusprokott
Journeyman III

@misterj

At the same time I posted here, I also wrote too AMD support, ASRock support, Crucial support, and also asked my vendor. AMD did not anser at all untill now. ASRock explained how to read its QVL and spoke about the possibilities that my specific memory might be compatible. They did not say anything related to my question and you cannot answer to the mail. Crucial explained me how the minimum of the three memory speed specifications of CPU, motherboard and the memory itself is chosen automatically by the BIOS. This was also not related to my actual question. By the way, meanwhile, I received the memory modules I mentioned above and their label says they are dual-rank. Yes, dual-rank, not single-rank as Crucial told me. So Crucial really lied to me about the ranks of these modules. I mean, whom can you trust for statements about the memory if not its manufacturers?

I think Crucial should normally be such a "memory expert" you were speaking about, but, unfortunately, this didn't help much.

@black_zion

The dependency by the rank count may apply for servers, but it is also part of the specification of the AMD Ryzen processors. And the processor is the only participant in this game that is picky about ranks. So, as the ones that chose to built these limitations into their processors, I think AMD is the centre of knowledge in this case. The motherboard doesn't have any problems with different ranks. It's only the CPU. Hence I'm asking AMD and, here, in the AMD forums (beside others).

Well, these are the three specifications I have:

ASRock homepage
Ryzen Series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge):
UDIMM Memory SlotFrequency
A1A2B1B2
SR
DR
SRSR
DRDR
SRSRSRSR
SR/DRDRSR/DRDR
SR/DRSR/DRSR/DRSR/DR
[MHz]
2133-2400
ASRock manual
Ryzen Series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge)*:
A1A2B1B2
SR
DR
SRSR
DRDR
SRSRSRSR
SR/DRDRSR/DRDR
[MHz]
ASRock's paper note in the mobo's box
Ryzen Series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge)**:
A1A2B1B2
SR
DR
SRSR
DRDR
SRSRSRSR
SR/DRDRSR/DRDR
[MHz]
2667/2933***
2667/2933***

SR: Single rank DIMM, 1Rx4 or 1Rx8 on DIMM module label

DR: Dual rank DIMM, 2Rx4 or 2Rx8 on DIMM module label

*Please refer to Memory Support List on ASRock's website for more information. (http://www.asrock.com/)

**You may find the latest memory support list on ASRock's website: http://www.asrock.com

***2933 for Professional Gaming and Taichi Series

Now, which one is right?

0 Likes

markusprokott,  if you have the memory, I suggest you plug them and run Thaiphoon Burner.  It will give you all the details of the information (specifications) recorded in the SPD on the stick.  Looks like some confusion at ASRock.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Well, that might be possible. But I don't think I can unpack the memory, plug it in, test it, and -- if I don't like it -- send it back and get the (full) refunds. And we're talking about much money. Notwithstanding this, that the memory runs at, say, 2933MHz doesn't mean that this is the reference speed or I'm already overclocking. I even don't know the proper difference. And I wonder why ASRock can't just say which of its tables are the one in charge.

I see, that you all also can not solve this problem. I think I'll send the memory back and look for new one. Because whatever the question of my original question was, the delivered RAM sticks are dual-rank, not single-rank as Crucial promised. However, I can get a comparable dual-rank set of memory for a noticeable lower price. I wouldn't have bought it in the first place if not ASRock and Crucial talked so much non-sense to me.

Thanks a lot though for the attempt

0 Likes