cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Buggerlugz
Journeyman III

Max boost. How does it actually work?

So I've had my Ryzen 5 2600X for a few months now mated to an Asus prime B450M-A-2 mobo. Everything in the Bios is set to auto, the only thing I've changed is RAM to 1600mhz and turned on PBO (leaving everything else on auto). Ryzen power profile is set with min cpu set to 5%.

The PC performs great with the CPU idling around 2.2ghz and surfing at around 40C. Strangely the highest reported speeds I've seen from HWINFO64 is 3.8ghz, temps and voltages all look good but it refuses to go any higher than this. If I set my cpu in the bios to 4ghz it says it is, but reports back 3.8ghz in windows.

Any idea's people?

0 Likes
3 Replies
SilvaGi
Adept I

Id like to know as well as im trying to optimise my new PC. Did you find anymore info?

I know the boost advertised boost frequency is for single core so not sure how much lower the all core boost should be.

Also, even though you set it to 4.0Ghz you'd need to load it up the see if it would do that as will fluctuate, so you need cinebench R23. Thats how i saw my 5600X go to 4.3 all cores 100% utilisation after using a auto OC feature of Asus x570 e ( TPU 2) and PBO enabled and the rest auto.

Also need ram DOCP

0 Likes

No, I've found this forum to be especially lacking, surprising considering its supposed to be ran by AMD itself. Their after sales support is very lacking to say the least.

0 Likes

Not sure with Zen, but checked with Ryzen Master? It can show you all cores.
To get max and above your motherboard also needs to support it.
I only got Zen2 and Zen3, both go beyond their advertised max boost speed with default settings.

0 Likes