cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jmcconn
Journeyman III

Major stability problems with Threadripper 3970x

Several months ago I built a workstation for code development and running moderately-sized CFD simulations. This system runs Ubuntu 18.04 with kernel version 5.6. When I try to run a simulation or compile code with 64 threads, the system immediately dies. When compiling certain libraries (like boost 1.65.1) the system crashes no matter how many threads I use. Once the system crashes, it won't start back up for at least a day; attempting to start the system results in a failure to POST.

I've had nothing but trouble with this CPU. I've tried 3 different motherboards, 2 PSUs (both of which were in a different system, working flawlessly), and 2 sets of memory that are on the motherboard manufacturer's compatibility list. I also tried various BIOS versions with little success. I even RMA'd the processor, and subsequently waranteed the processor to AMD after the 2nd processor exhibited instabilities. I figured it's extremely unlikely to to get 2 bad CPUs in a row, but not impossible.

The 3rd CPU is also problematic. I was really excited to have such a powerful processor, but so far it's been a $2000 disappointment.

3 Replies
w0wka
Journeyman III

I have the same CPU with 128GB ECC memory installed and I have similar problems on both Windows and Ubuntu OSes, for example in windows 10 if I load Folding@home, BOINC with Rosetta@home project and start some VirtualBox machine with Windows XP that uses 16 cores, then system becomes non-responsive and everything lagging a lot, so every move takes ages. If I do similar tasks in Ubuntu - the system GUI, mouse rendering is much better overall, but  virtualBOX machine lagging  a lot and if you try to load some youtube  video on firefox on ubuntu system at the same time, then you will get some stuttering in video and sound  also.

On Windows I have running RealityCapture software that causing a lot of stuttering when I trying to reconstruct the model with large amount of files and the reconstruction ends with error, If I use Intel PC with same amount of memory and settings in windows, then I can successfully complete the reconstruction.  If I disable SMP for AMD in BIOS then I can also complete the project on AMD.

Can anyone comment this?

jmcconn
Journeyman III

3 Months later and still no reply from someone at AMD. Very disappointing. I'm still having stability problems with this system, FYI.

0 Likes

jmccon, what do you mean by AMD?  This is not AMD, this is a user forum paid for my AMD and seldom do we see an employee from AMD.  If you want to talk with AMD, please open an Online Service Request.   If you would like some help, please list all your parts including the SIZE of your power supply and OSes, all other parts.  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Open your "C:\Windows\Minidump" folder and if it is not empty, please compress it and attach here.  The only way I have found to attach a file is to click Actions at the bottom and click Edit.  Do this after you have replied and you will be able attach a file.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes